Re: [Chrysler300] Subject: Electric Window Motors

Re: [Chrysler300] Subject: Electric Window Motors

Hi Ron,

I am not against this procedure, I did it myself and I recommend it. Putting the load circuit through a relay and controlling the relay with a switch is really the way to go. In my experience, from a modern perspective, the design actually IS broke, running the power circuit through the switch is not good. On other forums, many have deleted the ammeter circuit from their MOPARs because the entire charging current was brought through a connector through the fire wall to the dash and then back out through a fire wall connector to the alternator/battery. As these car aged problems began to occur from high resistance connections, corrosion etc. Excessive voltage drop, heat and poor performance are the result. That circuit is analogous to carrying the load current from the driver power window switch, back down through the door and hinge, across the car, through another door and hinge and then to the passenger or back seat window motor. It works, but it is poor design. I don't know if this is universal or not, but on my 300D, the power source wasn't individually fused, just came off of a terminal block. There is some evidence of prior electrical shenanigans on this car, so maybe that was stock, maybe not.

My only caveat is that I don't know the characteristics of the modern miniature relays, it is beginning to sound as if some of them are suitable, but I still am going to dissect a couple. The MOPAR starting relays I used certainly will handle these motors and a lot more. Sort of an overkill philosophy. I intend to do the same thing to my 1970 300 windows as well. All my other cars are manual windows and I drink enough beer to keep my cranking arm in good shape. :-D I think I have ranted on long enough about this, if I do find out anything about the smaller relays I will pass it on.

Bill Huff