Re: Re: [Chrysler300] Subject: Electric Window Motors

Re: Re: [Chrysler300] Subject: Electric Window Motors

Hi Jim,

Over the years I have read several articles on this subject. This link probably is the best one. I found it tonight on line, Rich Ebooger as he is sometimes known writes for one of the MOPAR mags and is quite knowledgeable.

http://www.allpar.com/history/mopar/electrical.html

Basically there are two approaches. One eliminates the large current through the interior of the car and uses a voltmeter to monitor battery/charging condition. A large fused wire is run from a battery connection to the alternator positive post to carry charging (or discharging) current.That reflects a more modern way of thinking, you just don't see many ammeters in cars these days. Of course, in your beloved MOPAR, the amp gauge would not work, it would just sit there, and a voltmeter would have to be mounted somewhere. A problem with this method other than lack of original dash workings is that some cars may take power from one of the ammeter posts, particularly the forward look cars. Later in the 60's and early 70's I think some voltage limiters might have been mounted to one of the posts, especially those cars that may have had a handful of wires behind the dash rather than full circuit boards. An easy fix would be to leave the ammeter wire from the battery source in place, so voltage would be available but with only one wire no charging current would flow.

The second approach would involve keeping the charging current flowing through the ammeter, which is a really tough and durable instrument, but eliminating the trouble prone bulkhead connectors. This means routing a large wire (#10 or even #8) through the bulkhead using a rubber grommet, i.e. no connector to the ammeter and then back through the grommet to the engine compartment. This would actually be my choice if an original appearance is desired, and it is the easiest to perform as long as you can stand on your head with your reading glasses on upside down to see what your doing under the dash.

A third method which just ain't worth the time and trouble for me is to remove the shunt from the back of the ammeter and fit an external shunt somewhere it he engine compartment. The shunt is the large metal piece that actually carries the charging current, which does not go through the gauge mechanism itself. Then small wires could be run to the ammeter from each end of the shunt. All ammeters actually function as a voltmeter reading the voltage drop across either an external or internal shunt. This sounds like a good idea until you start to try and calculate the shunt value and the resistance of the connecting wires. Its all in the tenths or maybe hundredths of ohms. Each connection adds some resistance. Unless you just wanted an indication of charge or discharge, this method would take a lot of try and try again cutting and splicing of wires and changing shunt values to get anywhere near accurate readings. It is the most elegant method, I think, just a lot of trouble.

If I haven't hopelessly confused you by now I am losing my touch. :-D Good luck.

Bill Huff