Re: 300G manual trans promo GARBAGE

With roughly 16-17,000 letter cars built in the 11 years of
production, I'd say any letter car from any year with any options is
a rare car compared to the millions of Ford and GM products that
were rolling off the lines those same years.
"Buyer beware" is something we all should know by now
regarding 'collector cars', whether at auction or private sale.
I remember talking to a guy at a Corvette show about his ugly,
green, automatic transmission equipped 'one of one' 1968 and
thinking, "Of course they only made one!  Who in their right mind
would order such an abomination?".
Of course, I didn't say that to him, but I was thinking it.

Different horses for different courses, or an ass for every seat,
what ever way you want to look at it, I've always purchased cars
that I wanted, not what some auction web site says is 'the one to
have'.
My G convertible cost me under $30K, but was still the most I had
ever spent on a 'toy' car, but I had been looking for the right one
for 20 years- long before Barrett Jackson made them ridiculously
priced automobiles.
I won't ever kick myself for not selling on the peak if the market
for my car crashes, because I bought it for the cross-rams, fins,
and the top that goes down.  I'm happy that it has gone up in value,
but I don't like it any more for that, and I won't like it any less
if/when prices ever retreat.

Regarding the stick G, while one persons opinion might be that it
was a less than fitting transmission for the car and that not many
people wanted it, apparently even fewer people wanted the 4-speed F
with the engine that was almost impossible to start under less than
perfect conditions with manual chokes, not to mention the huge price
premium and maintenance costs for French transmission parts.
I remember reading articles/reviews of the 55 and 56 cars that were
returned by customers in favor of NYers because the ride was softer
and the engine idled better than the C300 and 300B.

Again, it's back to individual preference, taste, and pocketbook.
$160K for a car is not a big deal to a multi-millionaire, but $10K
is probably out of reach of the unemployed.

My advice to those just entering this 'hobby' (more like an industry)
is to always get what you like so you won't ever feel 'stuck' with
it.

John

--- In Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Wayne Graefen" <wgraefen@...>
wrote:

> The Feb. '07 issue of Hemmings Classic Car has a plug in its p.
100 Auction News about a 3 speed manual trans 300G hardtop coming up
at World Wide Group's Houston auction next May.  I have to assume
that this article is a press release from www.thewwg.com auction
company.

> I went to their website to send them a comment on the overwhelming
falsehood with which they are promoting this car.   On their site,
the car is presented as "Mopar's Holy Grail!".   There are NO email
links in WWG's web site and no phone numbers for the company.  There
are links to forms and nothing else.  They give no way of contacting
them other than to consign your car or purchase a $50 catalog!

> In the Hemmings car/auction promo, it says that the car
was "virtual bid" to $160,000 while not even present at their Hilton
Head, SC, auction in early November and that "you can throw your
value guide out the window for this one".

> This is totally ridiculous.  It is shameless.  This is auction
company shenanigans at their worst and severely damages the hobby
when believed and acted upon.

> A stick 300G is absolutely no big deal.  Granted they only built
14 but because no one wanted them.  A stick G has a standard 375HP
engine.  The manual trans was grossly inadequate for the HP and
torque of that engine and probable to break.  The only thing
desirable about the particular car promoted is that it is red, if
you like red, and I wonder whether even that documents as original.
A lot of cars get painted non-authentic "Resale Red" to attract
attention at auctions.

> I would hope that every reader of this post understands there is a
great deal of shill bidding that goes on at auctions.  Bids with no
real money behind them.  Phony bids.  Bids placed by people who work
for the auction companies in MANY cases.  I've watched many auctions
in person and I would estimate 40-50 percent of the bids taken by
the auctioneer are completely false and are used strictly to pump up
the price until it meets reserve so the car can sell or to pump it
up to the level the auctioneer feels the car deserves to sell at.
Phone bidding is the most obvious questionable practice!  Or shill
bids are placed by friends of the seller or the seller himself!
Most states allow and protect the use of shill bidding under law!

> Yes, I could look up the company's phone number and try talking to
them.  They have negated their integrity in print.  I'd rather
inform you of the problems with this auction company and car so that
you can tell your friends and this car can miss its reserve by
$100,000 or more with a suitable bid for what the car truly is -
just another G among many.

> Be an informed buyer at any place and any time that you make an
offer or bid on a car.  To not do so can have dire financial
consequences.

> Wayne Graefen
> (Owner of a documented 300F Special with 400HP and Pont-a-Mousson
full synchro 4speed manual trans that truly is rare (1 of 9) and is
truly considered by many to be "the holy grail" among Chrysler 300
Letter Car collectors)