  From: Rich Barber
  To: Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Sunday, December 17, 2006 2:24 PM
  Subject: [Chrysler300] Holy Batwings

  On page 26 of the February (!), 2007 Hemmings Classic Car magazine is a
  picture of the batwing or delta air cleaner as installed on a 1956 Cadillac
  Eldorado. 305 HP is claimed from 365 cubes. I understand the batwing was
  manufactured by Delco for Cads, Chryslers and some other car (perhaps a
  T-Bird?). Note the fancier fasteners holding the oil bath pots.
  Additionally, the Cad batwing appears to have a Cadillac "Vee" on top and
  does not appear to be interchangeable with those on the 1955-56 Chrysler
  300's.

  According to Hemmings, the Eldorado could be had for 54% more cash than a
  Chrysler 300B. I drove a '56 Eldorado once and it performed very poorly due
  to the Rochester carb secondaries getting clogged up from lack of use by the
  little old lady that owned it. I was happy to blow the cobwebs out of it
  for her from time to time. I was not in contact with the owner of the only
  1955 C-300 in Des Moines, but would have been happy to provide this service
  to him.

  I visited that same Chrysler 300 this summer in Iowa, where it has sat
  outside too long and developed serious rot in floors and door posts. I love
  that old car, but decided it was too much to bite off to restore it and find
  an engine for it.

  C-300'ly,
  Rich Barber
  1955 C-300 (Blows the doors off of '55 Caddys)