[Chrysler300] a quick further re wheel failure causes/risks

[Chrysler300] a quick further re wheel failure causes/risks

A real can of worms - maybe worthwhile worms though - has been opened re
using our 300s, and tires and rims.

Tony Rinaldi has emailed me the new 300 14 rims are actually even heavier
than the original 300C rims I have, and I mentioned were already heavier
than many other 14 inch rims.  So if weight equals strength, then those
really worried re possible failures have an available alternative.  (
however weight need not always be the sole decider of strength - a friend
works for a new large steel supply business - he said steel imported is junk
compared to aussie made steel, and likely Chrysler also had metalurgists
(spellt rite I hope?!) who knew what steel to spec/use ?!)

Re radial bead loads versus original tires - two thoughts to clear and muddy
the waters further.

1) here in South Australia, the historic rego govt people/(bozos - if
sometimes well intentioned ?!!!) have totally no problems with radials on
original rims, yet will for safety reasons not allow non factory spec and
make disc brakes - because they fear stub failures if braking force is
different??!  So seemingly they have no probs re radials.

2) My old '62 XKE Jag roadster that owes me a year of my life restoring so
it best in world still has it's orig skinny chrome wire wheels on it -
reason - because I was going to fit the triple lace Jag wires they used for
competition.  My long time owning 8th last Cobra built friend owns/runs the
Healey Factory and is Aust Dayton Wheel Agent.  He will not sell me the
triple lace factoruy spec wheels because modern radial break them.  He races
Healeys, and most of his customers are some of the most seerious historic
racers around - traveling to UK Europe and US. He says the extra loads
generated are too great.

So figure it all out for yourselves - but sadly how many of you are ever
going to throw your 300s down a 30 mile long hard dirt road at 100 mph, or
at 70+ mph on fast sweeping bitumen goat tracks - those that are let me
know, and I'll come ride with you when I get to the US,

yours Christopher in Oz

>From: "Roger Schaaf" <obiwan10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>To: <Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,"George McKovich" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: [Chrysler300] Danger of wheel failure unless the rims are
>Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 00:09:48 -0800
>
>I have a thought that perhaps the problem is not the replacement of a bias
>tire with a radial, but the replacement of a skinny tire(a 78 or greater
>series bias tire, with a 70 series or so radial tire).  This I would think
>could possibly place much more stress on the rim and its bead holding lip.
>However in my personal experience I have never had such a problem.
>
>My experience with radials goes back to about 1970.  I had purchased a new
>69 427 Corvette which came stock with G-70 by 15 bias tires.   Firestone
>had just introduced a radial tire(called the V-1 radial in a GR-70 by 15
>size as I remember) so I thought that I would give them a try to find if I
>could improve the handling and ride of the Corvette.  I beleive that my
>local tire dealer probably replaced somewhere over 10 tires under warranty
>in an attempt to get a set of round ones.  Finally gave up on Firestone and
>installed 60 series radials from BF Goodrich(Radial TA's as I remember)
>which they had recently introduced.  They worked out very well and were far
>superior to the Corvette's stock bias tires in handling and ride comfort.
>Have never tried a Firestone tire since then, subsequently in the late 70's
>and early 80's they almost went under because of the quality of their
>product.   As a matter of fact, everytime that I have wandered away from
>Michelin(even a blind Frenchman finds an acorn once in awhile) for my
>normal driving cars, I have always regretted it.  They are hard to beat for
>noise levels, ride comfort, truly round, no "radial pull"(I could write a
>book on this topic) wear,  handling and the ability to achieve an accurate
>dynamic(very important) and static balance.
>
>Roger Schaaf
>300 B

FREE online classifieds from Windows Live Expo ? buy and sell with people
you know
http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwex0010000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://expo.live.com?s_cid=Hotmail_tagline_12/06

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings: