Re: [Chrysler300] Danger of wheel failure unless the rims are

Re: [Chrysler300] Danger of wheel failure unless the rims are

Below is an opinion of an old timer:
 that the pressure on

From: George McKovich <george@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 21:25:00 -0700
To: <Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Chrysler300] Danger of wheel failure unless the rims are

Is there anyone with "scientific" evidence that the wheels from 1955-1962
were inherently inferior to those built after that period?? Also, is there
any "scientific" evidence that RADIAL tires put more stress on wheels. From
the stories that have been related thus far, it looks like there are more
failures with NON-RADIAL tires being told. I have been told that the side
walls on a bias-ply tires is stronger than on a radial with a comparable
number of plies.... I was told this is one reason to use bias-ply tires on
my car trailer amd they definitely do seem much firmer in the sidewall
areas. Anyone with input???

George

 _____

Regarding your awaiting a real tire expert¹s statement that the pressure on
the bead area of bias ply wheels is greater when they have radial tires
mounted on them, what about ³Old Tire Man¹s² quote:

Nickname: Old tire man
Review: You're neglecting a very important design fact when comparing radial
and bias tires and rims: How the load is transferred through the tire to the
rim. Radials transfer the load (vehicle + payload) to the bead of the rim
and bias transfers the load upwards through the center of the rim, ie, bias
rims are thinner at the bead area than radial rims. I was there when we made
the transition to radials in the 1970s and I can't tell you how many bias
rims I personally have seen 'peeled' at the bead when a radial tire was
(wrongly) mounted. I won't mount a radial on a bias designed rim, but then I
have many years of personal (in a professional setting) experience to rely
on. Safety first.
Date reviewed: Nov 24, 2006 10:24 PM

This was in reply to an article:

Classiccar.com

A Tale of Two Tires
A case for radial tires on your classic car

http://www.business
<http://www.businessweek.com/@@WsomwGQQ4NgSUwAA/autos/content/may2006/bw2006
0> week.com/@@WsomwGQQ4NgSUwAA/autos/content/may2006/bw20060
504_512529.htm?chan=autos_classic+cars+index+page_insight

Regarding the ³K² wheel covers coming off, there are 2 recesses in the ³K²
wheel covers that engage the 2 bumps in period Mopar wheels. They are on
either side of the valve stem.

Regards,
Tony

For those that insist on frequent cornering to the limit (not that there is
anything wrong with that!) I would agree stronger rims would probably be a
good idea. As to the assertion about the radial side wall flexing
("twisting") being worse for the rim bead area than bias---I'll await a real
tire expert's statement before I buy that.

However, I think that was a function of the "K" wheelcover's one piece
construction more than the wheel.
So there you are---my opinion on the subject and I'm stuck with it!

300ly, Gil Cunningham
Chilly Tallahassee, FL

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings: