RE: [Chrysler300] RE: Importing 300's from overseas

RE: [Chrysler300] RE: Importing 300's from overseas

Hi Dee & all,

While I'm not an expert on getting vehicles back into the U.S., I can say
I've had much experience in shipping them out. While many, most whohave done
little to no shipping of vehicles, will tell you there are no taxes, duties
payable etc etc, I would advise contacting an import agent in your area who
does car importing on a regular basis. I can tell you that in my country,
NZ, they DO charge a 12.5% of the purchase price, this goods & services tax
is on anything, either entering NZ for the first time or re-entering for the
10th time, locally made or foreign! If the vehicle is OLDER than 20 years
down here, no duty is payable. You will also want to know the sea freight,
container loading fees on both ends, documentation fees, agent fees etc. You
must also specify the container be cargo hold (below deck), some agents will
try and sell "reefer containers" cheaper, these are stored ON deck and are
subject to salt water and total loss, as in rough seas they have been known
to lose one or two! If you're lucky you may be able to combine with others
and put 3 cars in a 40ft container rather than using a 20ft for your single
vehicle, this can save you a serious amount of $'s. Also,where is the car
located in this foreign country, is it near a port, road freight costs can
be significant. Is the current owner willing to help with organizing the
export of the car, loading, supplying necessary paperwork to get the car OUT
of the foreign country? Some countries have some weird laws, I recently
exported a car out of Guatemala and got caught with bringing the car's
registration up to date, all 10 years of it,a necessary requirement in THAT
country prior to export. Theydid give me new registration plates/tags for
it, well for 5 mins, I had to hand them back when the car left the country!

As I said earlier, contact someone who does this regularly, because the
pitfalls in shipping can equate to serious bucks.

Oh, one more thing, if you're going to ship a car 1/2 way around the world,
get someone to check it out prior to purchase, a piece of sh*t takes up the
same amount of container space as a nice car. Remember that SOME foreign
restored cars are "restored" from their locally made junk parts.

Hope this helps someone out there, sorry to waffle on for so long.....

Owen
Auckland
NZ