[Chrysler300] Importing 300's from overseas

[Chrysler300] Importing 300's from overseas

apologies for the typo on this morning's rushed post, where in the last
sentence, I changed 'good luck', to 'god luck' - although to some/many, this
may mean/be the same thing?!

And re importing cars, luck can indeed play a role.  Just the day before, I
was helping a friend unload 2 cans with 8 cars, engines, diffs, trans - one
57 Forward Look Plymouth - ripper car out of Oregon via LA - NO RUST!!! Pity
you don't find too many same years 300s like this nowadays.

The shipper he uses out of LA (supposedly one of USA's largest, certainly
normally one of best)  sort of builds a timber house inside each 40 footer,
so he can double deck the cars - 2 on bottom, 2 on top, often top ones
angled skyward to fit more in front/behind, wheels removed, mezzanines at
rear to put things above the (lower level/height) trunk of car on bottom,
etc.. Enough timber used to near build a house frame too - all new, real big
and fine stuff, and has to be burned, put in a special 40 foot skip you are
charged for. Nice easy day  --- with jemmy bars, sledges, fork lifts used as
demolition tool  !!! Forget about going to Gym after a day doing this.

Normally 2-3 of us can do the 2 cans in a day, but luck was against us this
time - sort of the bemuda triangle shipment - only good things, the 110
degree weather of few days earlier was past, and the 2nd 'ggood luck', was
although the brother of the owner had gone out on one of his legendary all
weekend benders/boozing, however on the first morning after, first day, he
was still pretty jolly.

So to the 2nd day, yesterday, and just me and his/this brother George go
down to finish off - me hopefully to finally get some larger car parts his
brother was bringing in for me.

Now usually one can get tripped up on some new just decided law that says
all airconditioning equipment on cars must now be evacuated of old ozone
destroying aircon gas before leaving US, or else ALL airco gear must be
seized/removed from car.  (A special Form bypasses this, but only if lodged
before shipment leaves US)
Or it can be Quarantine are training new staff, and so they refuse to clear
the vehicles (they can in extreme 'law enforcing', make you return the car
to from where it was shipped), until they have made a big show to the new
recruits - by making multiple extra inspections you are charged for at so
many extra $hundreds a time.

But today the bad news/luck, was everywhere, like real simple things like
the cars were in the can put in park, with power windows up - no matter the
doors were shut - there is not enough room to open them!? And rear tires at
bottom rear of can where all timbered in for supporting car above were flat,
and if finally getting cars to front of can, there the two locomotive
engines and mining equipment were still taking up the concrete quarantine
area nothing is allowed to leave until govt inspectors give the OK.

And these loco engines are a warning to those who are thinking of importing
things, 300s?, of how things way more basic than your goods getting damaged
can go badly wrong - that here in Australia today at least.

These loco engines are I forget the brand, but I think V16 supercharged
turbo diesel - about  8-10 feet high, maybe same width, and about 16-20 foot
long - maybe around mid late 60s-70s vintage - couple of thousand
horsepower, maybe even three thousand - big mothers, double o/head cams
under steel lift up covers!!
They were imported here to be rebuilt with nos parts, then fitted to new
locos, as pairs, to replace now current used 3 smaller motors.  Great idea -
win for USA, gets rid of brand new unused parts, win for Aust, employs staff
at State Railway Workshop, sees better loco with morre power, etc.

And here is where 'lady luck' trips the whole thing - Quarantine won't
release them because of the old oil in the motors - they have been sitting
there costing someone, many someones, plenty if yard fees, who knows how
many other fees, for now near 4 months.   It will likely end up cheaper to
send them back to USA, where they will be scrap.  Commonsense seemingly is
lost - like an internal coating of s/hand diesel oil is so unacceptable?
Smacks more of someone with an agenda blocking these, than usual process,
fair play?

But re anyone thinking of importing something large like a car/300 which has
to come over a wharf where often 'luck' is the last/least risk, back to
where my only bit of luck re ever getting the cans finished.
Just as the quarantine guy turns up to do his 2nd inspection that the last
cars and s/hand diffs/engines etc have all been steam cleaned, leaves and
grass seeds removed, etc - George throws another temper tantrum, hurls one
of the 9 foot pieces of 4 by 4 pine framing towards the stranded loco
engines direction (George looks like a sort of stocky shaved head 'Hells
Angel' bikie/bouncer type), and says he has to get out of f****ing here
before he does something violent, and stalks off behind the can shouting
obscenities, although we cannot see where he is.

Brief silence on our side of the can as I say nothiing, nor the govt guy who
is early 50s, a decent bloke. Then he, the quarantine guy, does the quickest
walk past of the stuff, before he says 'bit of a hard day? - these are all
oK, you can take them' - and then gets in his govt car and is gone before
his words are near just finished. The old 50s cars were clean, but if he had
wanted, he could have found things, 50 year old engine grease he wanted
cleaned better. But George fixed that!!  Is/was that luck/karma, or who
knows/cares?

No doubt others who have imported cars, 300s even maybe, have weird tales of
things that went right, and other things that went wrong.
My day ended without a length of pine in my skull, my stuff was undamaged,
and George - who cares if he needs anger management, I'll just be making
sure I do not have to try to work with him again. Now our 300s are not so
bad after all maybe?, lot easier to 2nd guess in advance?!  Get out there
and drive them if your hell not frezen over - that's what I'm planning to do
this weekend with one of mine, even if gas prices here are now up above $5 a
gall again - Oil Company mongrels!!

Christopher

Advertisement: It's simple! Sell your car for just $20 at carsales.com.au
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fsecure%2Dau%2Eimrworldwide%2Ecom%2Fcgi%2Dbin%2Fa%2Fci%5F450304%2Fet%5F2%2Fcg%5F801577%2Fpi%5F1005244%2Fai%5F838588&_t=757768878&_r=endtext_simple&_m=EXT