[Chrysler300]Update: Convertible Tops: New/Old

[Chrysler300]Update: Convertible Tops: New/Old

I was just TOO CURIOUS, so last night so with tape measure in hand,  I
pulled a bunch of back seats:

The power cylinders and rods from the 96 Sebring are virtually identical in
every respect  to those on my 300L, 68 Sport Fury, 62 Sport 300 and 70 Cudas
EXCEPT FOR THE LENGTH !!

On the 300L, the cylinders are 8" long.

On my 62 300 Sport, the cylinders are 11"long.

On my Cuda w/power top the cylinders are 9" long.

The Sebrings are 10-1/2" long.

The 300C cylinders are very different!

Also, the 300s require a hose set approx 84" in length whereas the Sebring's
top out at 74".

The length of the cylinders is appearantly not limited by the usable space
within the body as my power top equipped Cuda has 9" cylinders  but my
manual top Cuda has 10-1/2 cylinders (spring loaded rather than hydraulic,
but otherwise identical).

I am no convertible top whiz by any means, but
I would assume the cylinder length determines the rod travel only, which
makes me assume you could use the Sebrings 10-1/2 cylinders in the 300L and
the Cuda since the action would stop
once the mechanism bottomed out. I realize there IS a possibility here of
course to "over-lower" the top and rip the fabric, so you'd have to be
careful or put a positive stop clamp on the rod.

Oh well. I'm a little disappointed that I didn't find a miracle money saving
alternative here. I DO believe that the Sebring motor IS a viable
replacement.

Jeff Miklas