Re: [Chrysler300] oil change

Just a couple of comments to add.  What has happened is the latest oil formulations (SM) have reduced/eliminated a component (zinc/ZDDP)  that is harmful to catalytic converters but beneficial to internal engine wear, mostly camshaft/lifter. Since all new cars today use roller lifters, this is not a problem for them. Since our 300's don't have catalytic converters, it is a problem for us.

Any diesel rated oil will work fine in the older cars. 15W40 is by far the most common, but straight 30wt. and 10W30 are both available in diesel ratings. Jean-Yves might find it easier to obtain in Canada that Gil in Florida, but it is manufactured. I have frequently seen 10W30 in Shell Rotella in various outlets, but never Castrol.

Russ Vaughan

lettercars@xxxxxxx wrote:
 Hi Jean-Yves and All
 After reading and thinking about all the discussions you mention, I  switched
 to the GTX diesel oil in my 300F for its 1st change after break  in.  Drove
 it to the two meets last year.  Intend to use the same for  its change this
 year.  I would have liked to find a little lower viscosity,  as I have plenty of
 pressure, but lowest I could find in Castrol (brand I  have used since my XK-E
 days of 1964) was the 15-40.
 300ly, Gil Cunningham

 In a message dated 5/2/2007 8:44:41 PM Eastern Daylight Time,