  From: Rich Barber
  To: 'George Riehl' ; Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ; 'Paul Holmgren' ; 'johnl'
  Sent: Friday, May 04, 2007 3:01 AM
  Subject: [Chrysler300] Under cover work.

  The original 331 hemi in my 1955 C-300 has only one plug wire supporter
  under each spark plug wire cover and they are located on the middle screw
  sockets. The clips each have two notches for the two plug wires that go
  past this point. There would be no point on putting a plug wire supporter
  on the front screw socket as no plug wires run past that point. The clips
  are of a simpler design than those shown on the e-Bay auction and just sort
  of float under the plug wire cover. Each is a simple "L" shaped piece of
  steel, painted black, with a hole in its foot to fit over the screw socket
  and two notches looking up to hold the two plug wires. It seems that there
  may have been a four-notch plug wire supporter at the tapered end of the
  plug wire cover where the plug wires enter, but there is none on my car. I
  can see where a clip like that shown in the auction would work on the back
  screw socket. Anyone ever spotted anything different on 1955's? Each spark
  plug tube has a metal washer around it that is held in place by the spark
  plug wire cover, probably to help prevent any oil fumes under the rocker arm
  cover from backing into the plug wire chamber. There were small amounts of
  condensed oil on the underside of the spark plug covers when I did this
  research.

  I sure don't have any "U" shaped holders at each plug hole. Am I missing
  something, or are these holders a later year addition? George: Do you
  market these for the '55?

  I've always thought it better to keep plug wires in the open air, adequately
  supported by insulated plug wire supporters and standoffs to keep them apart
  and away from grounds. I'm thinking there are a lot of opportunities for
  spark leakage under those plug wire covers. But, it keeps them dry--and
  warm/hot. And keeps the mud and the blood and the crud out of the spark
  plug sockets. The hemi in my 2005 Durango uses a fitted rubber spark plug
  hole cover to achieve this seal--but is much uglier than the beautiful gold
  331 rocker arm covers with the black plug wire covers. Chrysler FirePower!

  BTW, I'm very much enjoying reading the book "CHRYSLER-THE LIFE AND TIMES OF
  AN AUTOMOTIVE GENIUS" by Vincent Curcio--available through Amazon. Reading
  about Walter Percy (!) Chrysler tends to help explain how and why certain
  personalities are drawn to products still bearing his name. I found out
  that WPC lived in Oelwein, Iowa (1905-1909), about a mile from where I lived
  as a youth working in my Dad's Western Auto store there (1949-52). If you
  like Chrysler cars, you will love this book and it will help you understand
  the attraction the cars have for you.

  C-300'ly,
  Rich Barber
  Brentwood, CA (getting a little much-needed rain tonight)
  1955 Chrysler C-300