Re: [Chrysler300] Specs for a 300G

John and All:
The various plants could vary in their details of production.   Certainly
painting the car with door latches and strikers assembled before  or after is one
of those areas.  However, all cars of a similar body  type, as the Jefferson
Assy. Plant cars were in 1960 and 61 would have been done  the same in the
same TIME FRAME.  In other words, the assy line-up could  change, but it would
change for all cars at that plant.  Since, as John has  stated, ALL 300 letter
cars were built at Jefferson, they would all be the same  if built at similar
times.  I remember when working at Lynch Rd Plant (B  Bodies) in the early '70s
having similar line-up changes.  Sometimes we  used "slave locks" to secure
the doors and sometimes the actual latches were  installed prior to paint.
Whatever component that went thru the prime  oven did have to withstand a section
that was about 420 degrees, as I  recall.  Latches could also have come into
the plant in assembly with the  doors.  Seems like I remember that senario
too, but which plant I do not  remember.  One could certainly argue it would be
simpler (and cheaper?) to  install at the facility that welded up the doors.
John also points out the value of original, unrestored cars.  It  seems, from
the evidence so far, that very early 300Gs may have been been  assembled with
the door latches installed after paint.  Perhaps  disadvantages were found
with this method and assembly sequence was returned to  that of 1960.  Randy
Huntzberry mentioned his dad's car did have painted  door latches.  That car is a
late October schedule, so it appears locks  were in the doors for paint by
then.  Obviously, a little more input from  any early ORIGINAL cars would be
helpful.
300ly, Gil

In a message dated 5/8/2007 11:06:32 AM Eastern Daylight Time,