Re: [Chrysler300] what to do with ac

KEEP IT and get it charged, while you're at it, contact Old Air Products in Fort Worth, TX and get the rear A/C kit and install it.  I have factory A/C with Solex glass and the rear A/C unit and I'm cool in Oklahoma in 105 degree weather.  Convert to an alternator however if you do with a yellow-top Optima deep cycle battery.  ROB KERN
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: john_nowosacki@xxxxxxxxxxx
  To: dennis57300@xxxxxxx ; chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Friday, June 22, 2007 7:05 PM
  Subject: RE: [Chrysler300] what to do with ac

  My 57 C also has factory air and tinted windows (I think they went together). It's a pretty fancy option, and I don't know if the club has a breakdown of how many cars were originally offered with a/c, but I think it was pretty rare in 1957.

  Most of the old car value guides say to add as much as 10% to the value of the car if it had factory a/c.

  I have kept everything intact on my car, but I have not yet tried to pull a vacuum on it to test for leaks or recharge it yet.

  It also serves as an idler pulley to hold the belts for the accessories in the proper orientation, and don't forget that cool but funky brass pipe with the flat bottom that sits in the upper radiator hose. Why would you want to do without that cool stuff? You also have a rare passenger side head with the bolt holes drilled to mount the compressor. And don't forget about that funky solenoid that runs off of engine oil pressure to operate the air doors that is unique to the a/c cars. There's really a lot of unique stuff about an a/c car that I believe is worth keeping, even if you don't get around to charging it up right away. The dash controls are different to a non a/c car, and the vents pop up instead of just being in the defrost position, too.

  If you decide to trash the a/c, let me know and I'll buy the pieces you don't want as spares for my car!

  John