Re: [Chrysler300] Slightly Off-Topic Safe Driving Reminder

Hi Joe,  I have reproded  a set of the Burma Shave signs and installed them in our driveway.  We have a book with all the slogans in it from the first to the last and some were pretty suggestive for the late 20's, 30's, and 40's  The book title is "The verse by the side of the road and there were a total of 600 rhymes from 1927-1963.  The exact specs of the signs by color and size are known and we had them done the same.  They get comments from visitors but not as many as I thought.  Maybe I'm getting older but I can't remember.   Don Rook
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: jlsavard@xxxxxxx
  To: Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ; L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Tuesday, June 26, 2007 6:44 AM
  Subject: [Chrysler300] Slightly Off-Topic Safe Driving Reminder

  Subject: Burma Shave Signs

  Too bad they're not still around to entertain, and warn our new young
  drivers.

  For those who never saw any of the BurmaShave signs, here is a
  quick lesson in our history of the 1930's and '40's. Before there were
  interstates, when everyone drove the old 2 lane roads, BurmaShave signs
  would be posted all over the countryside in farmers' fields.

  They were small red signs with white letters. Five signs, about 100
  feet apart, each containing 1 line of a 4 line couplet...... and the
  obligatory 5th sign advertising BurmaShave, a popular shaving cream.

  Here are more of the actual signs:

  DON'T STICK YOUR ELBOW
  OUT SO FAR
  IT MAY GO HOME
  IN ANOTHER CAR.
  BURMASHAVE

  TRAINS DON'T WANDER
  ALL OVER THE MAP
  'CAUSE NOBODY SITS
  IN THE ENGINEER'S LAP
  BurmaShave

  SHE KISSED THE HAIRBRUSH
  BY MISTAKE
  SHE THOUGHT IT WAS
  HER HUSBAND JAKE
  BurmaShave

  DON'T LOSE YOUR HEAD
  TO GAIN A MINUTE
  YOU NEED YOUR HEAD
  YOUR BRAINS ARE IN IT
  Burma Shave

  DROVE TOO LONG
  DRIVER SNOOZING
  WHAT HAPPENED NEXT
  IS NOT AMUSING
  BurmaShave

  BROTHER SPEEDER
  LET'S REHEARSE
  ALL TOGETHER
  GOOD MORNING, NURSE
  BurmaShave

  CAUTIOUS RIDER
  TO HER RECKLESS DEAR
  LET'S HAVE LESS BULL
  AND MORE STEER
  BurmaShave

  SPEED WAS HIGH
  WEATHER WAS NOT
  TIRES WERE THIN
  X MARKS THE SPOT
  BurmaShave

  THE MIDNIGHT RIDE
  OF PAUL FOR BEER
  LED TO A WARMER
  HEMISPHERE
  BurmaShave

  AROUND THE CURVE
  LICKETY-SPLIT
  BEAUTIFUL CAR
  WASN'T IT?
  Burma Shave

  NO MATTER THE PRICE
  NO MATTER HOW NEW
  THE BEST SAFETY DEVICE
  IN THE CAR IS YOU
  BurmaShave

  A GUY WHO DRIVES
  A CAR WIDE OPEN
  IS NOT THINKIN'
  HE'S JUST HOPIN'
  BurmaShave

  AT INTERSECTIONS
  LOOK EACH WAY
  A HARP SOUNDS NICE
  BUT IT'S HARD TO PLAY
  BurmaShave

  BOTH HANDS ON THE WHEEL
  EYES ON THE ROAD
  THAT'S THE SKILLFUL
  DRIVER'S CODE
  BurmaShave

  THE ONE WHO DRIVES
  WHEN HE'S BEEN DRINKING
  DEPENDS ON YOU
  TO DO HIS THINKING
  BurmaShave

  CAR IN DITCH
  DRIVER IN TREE
  THE MOON WAS FULL
  AND SO WAS HE.
  Burma Shave

  PASSING SCHOOL ZONE
  TAKE IT SLOW
  LET OUR LITTLE
  SHAVERS GROW
  BurmaShave

  Do these bring back any old memories?
  If not, you're merely a baby.
  If they do - then you're as old as dirt....
  LIKE ME!

  "Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you
  > meet is
  > fighting some kind of battle."

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings: