[Chrysler300] Re: Moulding Clips for 57-59 300s

[Chrysler300] Re: Moulding Clips for 57-59 300s

The '57-59 body side molding fasteners are one type of what I call "butterfly fasteners".  The radiator support to hood weatherstrip metal retainer in '60 and other items here and there including, as mentioned, '56 molding clips all have similar fastening.   If there is an industry name for this style fastener, I'm not aware of it.

When new, they were installed by squeezing the outside tangs of the center punch-out which in turn spread the inside tangs to catch inside the sheet metal.  On body side moldings there was also a glob of something rubbery (perhaps a liquid rubber!) that would seal the hole.  When replacing these fasteners today, one would use a generous glob of readily available silicone.

If not too rusty these fasteners can be removed by reversing the process - spreading the visible tangs which in turn will squeeze the inner tangs and release them from grabbing the sheet metal.  The more rust-deteriorated the fastener is, the less likely this is to work.  Obviously this can't be done multiple times as the metal won't stand it.  I'd guess a quite good original can be re-used once.  Prior to reproductions being available it would be advisable to re-cadmium plate a bunch of fasteners for reuse.  Today, at about $2 per fastener the reproductions are the best use of funds.

Wayne

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional