[Chrysler300] origins of Mopar name?

Someone asked me today what does Mopar stand for, or where did it come
from??

Had to admit (to myself first), that I do not know.

Anyone out there have the definitive answer?

Christopher in Australia with some following not directly related to 'old
300s' news, but perhaps highly relevant to whether there will be many more
futiure new 300s? If not interested, please do not read.

here last week Ford announced that production of Australia's only remaining
local designed engine is to cease - Ford have been casting/building their
own engines here since the 20s, and the motor they are to stop production of
is most likely the best engine Ford America could use for any future US
saleable Family sedan - 4 litre, most modern, 200+something horsepower,
capable of pushing 3500 lbs car over quarter mile in 15 secs, and returning
30mpg cruise economy.  And in current turbo form can out accelerate high
spec latest US quad cam Ford V8s.

My belief is scrapping this motor bodes real bad for Australian
manufacturing, plus bodes very bad for Ford US - it will leave Ford US with
no production ready rear drive sensible size family sedan if gas prices
continue their upward trend as world oil production is outstripped by new
China and India demand/growth. The current US Govt will try to contain price
rises until after next year's Election, but I fear after that, prices may
suddenly head for US $100 a barrel. (And I think parent Ford have accepted
this future $100 a barrel price is coming soon, and who knows how much
higher soon after?! This will decimate further already slumping mid size 6
cylinder car Aust sales, hence scrapping this world class 4 litre motor?))

It will be tragic for us 300 lovers who likely also would like to see the 3
US majors continue, if Ford and Chrysler are caught in coming maybe $100 a
barrel oil price effects with no economical good performance rear drive
product.

Here in Australia apparently Toyota now sells over 60% of all cars, yet what
a twist lies in this - we in Australia apparently build the most reliable,
best built Toyota sedans in world, at a price that makes Toyota money. And
the Ford Ford are scrapping, is considered equal of Mercedes and BMWs at
near 3 times price, re performance, handling body safety/strength, etc.

Anyone over there know anyone in Ford? Or do we all just accept we must soon
no longer drive/build cars that do not return 40+ mpg?

Advertisement: 1000s of Sexy Singles online now at Lavalife
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Flavalife9%2Eninemsn%2Ecom%2Eau%2Fclickthru%2Fclickthru%2Eact%3Fid%3Dninemsn%26context%3Dan99%26locale%3Den%5FAU%26a%3D29553&_t=764581033&_r=email_taglines_1000s&_m=EXT

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: