Re: Re: [Chrysler300] C-300 value and Torqueflight Swaps

Re: Re: [Chrysler300] C-300 value and Torqueflight Swaps

You must replace the pushbutton station as the torqueflight has 3 forward
positions instead of 2 as on a powerflight.  Also you must make accomodation
for a longer emergency brake cable and I believe(this was almost 20 years
ago) that I had to change the length of the driveshaft.  If you find an
Imperial with a torqueflight, then this would help you as most parts will
just move across.  However I am not certain on driveshaft length as not
certain if there is a wheelbase difference between a 300 and an Imperial.  I
also changed to a 2:92 rear axle ratio using a 1957 Chrysler(I knew there
was something better on the 300 C's---just kidding folks!) rear end
assembly.  This definitely requires driveshaft surgery as the year U Joint
assembly is different between a 56 pinion yoke and a 57 pinion yoke.  The
spring perches on the axle is 1/4 inch wider on the 57 assembly which is
insignificant as this is only 1/8 inch on each side.  It is almost
impossible to find that ratio in a 56 rear assembly even though it was
claimed that 3:08's were an option in 56.  Mainly for Imperials sold in the
flatlands of the USA.  I looked for several years to no success.  This is a
great swap and makes the car far more user friendly especially on the
highway.  The lower 1st gear of the torqueflight still gives you decent off
the line acceleration.  The stock 56 rear axle ratio of 3:36 had the engine
spinning so fast at 70 mph that it sounded as if the solid lifters were
swapping holes.  Under full acceleration the rear tires will bark when
hitting 2nd and 3rd gear.  I had Timo give the torqueflight a pretty good
work over for me.

I am copying the listsrv as there may be others interested in this swap.
Just save your old stuff for the purists.

Roger Schaaf