Re: [Chrysler300] Help: Ignition issues

If you had the black wire from the pertronix hooked to the wire from the ballast resistor there is a good chance that you burnt up the pertronix. I speak from experience. Also the pertronix does NOT require the ballast resistor as it needs a full 12 volts. Hope this helps.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: brian hagen
  To: Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Saturday, August 11, 2007 4:02 PM
  Subject: [Chrysler300] Help: Ignition issues

  My car was 'down' for about a month and a half and while I was
  waiting for something to be repaired.. i decided to do some other
  work I wanted to do. Of course, now that its all back together, I
  cant get it to start.

  Things I did while It was "down":

  Replaced starter with new small hi-torque starter
  Converted over to Pertronix system
  Replaced coil (only because I broke off one of the posts while
  "unscrewing". Doh!)
  Replaced POS and NEG battery cables (not sure if I did this before it
  was "down" or not, can't remember)

  Everything else is the same in the ignition system. I didn't pull
  the plugs or wires while down. Checked spark plugs wires and then are
  in correct position on distributor.

  The car at first wouldnt start because the battery was dead. So I
  let it charge a bit and tried to start it while hooked up to another
  car. The starter turns, the fan turns, the car cranks... but it
  wouldnt turn over.

  At first I noticed that I had probably wired the coil wrong. So i
  rewired it to the distributor so that the 1 black wire from the
  pertronix system goes to NEG, and the RED wire from the distributor
  goes to + on coil along with the black wire from the ballast
  resistor. (I had the black wire from ballast going to NEG
  accidentally). Still doesn't start.

  So i pulled one of the plugs and held it against the exhaust manifold
  to see if I got spark while cranking.. No spark off of plug held
  against the exhaust manifold.

  I then pulled the distributor/coil wire. No spark there either while
  cranking.

  Now the rest of my car's wiring is original so I wouldnt be surprised
  if something got wiggled to much while doing my work and failed. I
  just not sure where to check next?

  Any ideas of what I can try to diagnose next?

  Thanks in advance for any help you can give!
  Brian
  ..who always seems to have ign issues!

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings: