RE: [Chrysler300] Drivability Problems Related To Ethanol?

RE: [Chrysler300] Drivability Problems Related To Ethanol?

Not arguing, just hoping to clarify.  Pure ethanol has about 34% fewer
BTU/gallon as compared to regular gasoline, so a 10% mix might have 3-4%
less energy--maybe about 1/2 MPG.  Ethanol, MTBE and methanol all have
higher octane ratings than gasoline, so their addition does help raise the
octane of the mix.

I burnt a lot of 10% ethanol while driving through the Midwest this summer
and observed a nearly 1 mpg drop in my Durango while pulling a Chrysler on a
trailer.  Drivability was not a problem as I believe my '05 Durango
automatically adjusts its timing to match the anti-knock/octane value of the
fuel.  Using higher octane fuel did not seem to affect drivability or MPG.
In some of those states the ethanol fuel was higher octane, but lower
cost/gallon due to taxpayer subsidy.  The information at the referenced site
also indicates the ethanol will contain 4-5% water.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bioethanol

Fuel injected and computerized engines will tolerate a wider range of fuels
with power limits pretty much defined by engine displacement, altitude and
effective octane of the fuel.  Carbureted engines are a mix of compromises,
none of which considered the more volatile and less energetic fuels and
their attendant different combustion characteristics of today.

Installing a modern fuel management system on one of our old letter car
engines might seem sacrilegious, but would make a sweet combination.  I
wonder how much of that I could hide in my batwing?  Keep in mind that
dragsters and other racers have used fuel injection, supercharging and
exotic fuels successfully for years to get 1,000 HP+ (briefly) out of our
old hemis and it is written that the stock '55's would turn 130 MPH using
just carburetors, 8.5:1 heads and whatever was in those tanks marked Flock
Juice.

C-300'ly,
Rich Barber
Brentwood, CA