RE: [Chrysler300] Drivability Problems Related To Ethanol?

RE: [Chrysler300] Drivability Problems Related To Ethanol?

How's this for confusing the issue-
I was unaware that Ethanol raises octane, but I believe it is a moot point.

If one pump says 94, and the other says 93, then the one with 94 on it has higher octane, regardless of the amount of Ethanol.

If there is new gas with 10% ethanol blend, and it is rated at 93 octane, then that means it was probably about 90 octane when they added the 10% blend that brought it up to 93.  That is still less than 94, so I would think it would still not run better with more advance.  The octane number is the octane number, no matter what the blend.

If 10% Ethanol added to 93 octane gas upped the octane to 95 or 96, you could bet that the company selling the product would advertise it as 95 or 96 octane and charge for it!

I always set my timing by 'ear' anyway.

Set the timing with your normal choice of fuel, and then go for a drive at part throttle up a slight incline.  If you hear pinging/predetonation, then retard the timing and take another test drive.  If you hear no pinging, then advance the timing and take another test drive.

The most advance you can get without hearing the dreaded pinging is going to give you the best performance.  It has been my experience that this is always the case, no matter what the octane or blend of fuel.  The best performance is always when the timing is as far advanced as you can get it without the pinging.

In general, the higher the octane, the more advance the motor will take before the pinging starts.

I have also been told that the best timing can be measured with a vacuum gauge, and usually occurs when you achieve maximum vacuum at idle, but I have not tried that method, although it may get you in the ballpark before you use the 'ear' method.

This is all based on a normal engine without modifications like water or Nitrous injection, supercharging, turbocharging, etc.

I'd really appreciate hearing if this is somehow flawed theory, because I've been doing my tune-ups this way for (gulp!) decades (since the 60's when I couldn't afford a timing light in my teens).  How did I get so old???

John

PS- setting the valves/lifters on a slant six can be done quite nicely with a matchbook cover, too. :-)