From: "George Riehl" <longrams@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <300L@xxxxxxxx>; "Paul Holmgren" <paulholm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2007 6:34 PM
Subject: Re: [Chrysler300] 1966 300M Owners Sought

First of all, it is interesting to note who the sellor is.
Secondly, in all the interdepartmentsl correspondence between the engineers and "bean counters" that I have copies of, nowhere does any correspondence relate to a "special" emblem for the "'66 300M".  In fact, the company photos show a 1964 "300 K' emblen affixed to the 1966 car. All trim items were cost evaluated, but the final memo, simply states "not cost effective", mostly due to the cost of the 426 Hemi engine.
  Looking closely at the emblem, yes, it does differ from the '63, '64 and '65 emblems. The seperations between the colors are not the same as the previous. It has two "bars" seperating the colors. In addition, I wonder why the photo is so poor? The chrome plating seems very poor and "rough".
  Many years (25+) ago, I had a company that does this kind of medallion work, to "replicate" one for my 300J ( since one of mine had a chip in it, but since obtained a nearly new one). I supplied a 300K emblem, they took out the colors, machined off the "K" and duplicated the "J" off a very clear photo I took of it.  I do not know the material they used to form the "J", but they did refire the 4 different hard enamel colors. The result was perfect. Cost.....$110.00 including shipping.
  But remember, most all this "work" on the 300M was done during the 1964 production year.  Since the 1963 J was a looser for the company, only 400 produced, and the '64 model year was also shakey and it was already known the the '65 300L would be a "looser", this determined death for the '66M.
  Now, let's see just where do I have that info on that company? Maybe take one of my ratty "K" emblems and get a "300N' made. Would it be worth $895.00? Goodness, I can't believe I wrote that!
Hmmmmm, that's right! The '99 WAS a "300M"........I wonder!!!!!! Could it maybe, just maybe be a 1999 300 emblem? Wouldn't it be funny if some vendor at a swap meet showed up with a box full of them for $5.00 each? Think about it!
    George Riehl