From: Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of christopher beilby
Sent: Friday, September 28, 2007 6:30 AM
To: Rich Barber; 'Richard Osborne'; paulholm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: moparpjf@xxxxxxx; robkern@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx;
'Thomas Miller'
Subject: RE: [Chrysler300] Carbs and clay

Regards certain people trying to claim the 57 300C was only practice for the
subsequent wedge engined 300F and G, and that the C was not up to them, or
the ram manifolding 413s, may I from afar pose a couple of questions for
those who I suggest, perhaps not to take the whole issue too seriously
anyway?!

1) how many wedge engined 413s were used in late 50s early 60s
rails/dragsters that ran (and still run in nostalgia classes?) just under,
or just over 200mph, as did very many 'not to altered' blown 392s??!! (by
not too altered, I mean used stock/factory build, heads, crank, rods, etc?!)
2) why, if the 392 was 'not so good' an engine, do you so very rarely find
392 engined cars that have lost their original 392 motors due to blowups,
failures, yet it is 'so so so so' common that the later 426 hemi cars seem
to 'never rarely' have their original 426 hemis still in them, and when one
asks why, one is told they had blown years ago?!(A farmer friend of mine
bought a '67 or 68 426 hemi Plymouth Coupe to replace his Ford 289 engined
drag street car that he had won national Modified Class Titles in for near 3
years running - the weekend he bought the 426 engined car, just as getting
to know the car, he blew the hemi, this despite him never harming his 289
hipo Ford engine that still ran stock conrods that are known not to be real
good for competition. In other words, he was not a trasher, nor silly re
high revs. )

Hemis of 392 design, and the later racing based alloy 426 design hemis, have
ruled world dragstrips in severest forms of highest/hardest competition for
now near 50 years - 5 (five) DECADES - the ram manifolded 413 wedges were in
300s for was it 5 (five approx) years ?!!
AND, am I not correct that it was ONLY in response to complaints about LOSS
OF FORMER hemi top end power, that the 300E '58 wedge was ram manifolded for
subsequent 300 years!!??

Truth is no motor manufacturer was going to sell a slower performance car in
the early 60s, than their '57 models - that is why 300F and G had ram
manifolding, not that the 392 was the weak/lessor one?!

Finally - isn't it correct if you put Weind's early 60s alloy 2 4bbl AFB
manifold, slightly better springs and exhaust, and 58 higher comp pistons in
your 57/58 300s, that you get near 550 bhp at the higher revs that the
mechanical cam and 300C valvetrain was designed for?!  And how many
horsepower was the such modified original 413 '58 E 300 motor that went into
the F and G - nowhere near that output  ??!

Do not forget come 1957 and the 392, Chrysler were aware many competitor
Manufacturers wanted the 300 banned from racing  - so do you think Chrysler
was going to be dumb enough to release any 300C with even 450 bhp just weeks
before the new race season began.  And then even without any 450 bhp, with
just 375/390 hp models, they were still banned anyway!

All the above is how I see it - others correct me if/where wrong. No
300C/D/E has the later unibody positives, nor the handicap of the 300Cs bad
areo shape, but taking these two things as fact, should not mean it is fair
game to take 'cheap shots' at the 'Mighty C'  !!??  What other cars in 1957
were so far ahead of the rest in so many ways - however come 1960/61, the
300s of then had I think some pretty capable competion? Maybe not in one car
like the 300 offered, but certainly re acceleration, other performance
issues?
'devil's advocate'

 Christopher

Yahoo! Groups Links