RE: [Chrysler300] Blue Streaks, and then there were Blue Streaks--and th

RE: [Chrysler300] Blue Streaks, and then there were Blue Streaks--and there are still Blue Streaks

Wayne:

You are so right.  The currently available Goodyear Blue Streaks are similar
to the ones that came on Chrysler 300's, only in name, shape and ability to
travel safely at high speeds.  None of the current Blue Streaks approach 29"
OD and the new 8.00 x 15 requires a 10" wide rim.  The new 5.50 x 15 is
closer in size, but 2.5" less OD.

Just as the current Chrysler 300's have only a passing similarity to those
of the '50's and '60's, current Goodyear Blue Streaks are a whole 'nuther
story from the originals.

I don't know what year Firestone brought out their 4-ply nylon Firestone 500
tires, but I recall having a set in about 1956 and there is a 1956 ad for
them on eBay at this time.  They were very strong tires and we never saw one
that failed or blew out at the service station where I worked.  They sure
had flat spots on cold mornings, though.  Perhaps Kiekhaefer switched to
street Firestone 500's, but Firestone was top dog in racing tires then and
probably was able to furnish Carl great shoes for those 9.5" wide rims.

And I see elsewhere that an Asian company is now manufacturing tires under
the "Blue Streak" label-- inexpensive BSW radials.  See:
http://www.treadepot.com/tires/blue.html

Perhaps someone will come up with the old Goodyear 8.00 x 15 Blue Streak
molds and resume production.

C-300'ly,
Rich Barber
Brentwood, CA