Re: [Chrysler300] Oils

  Engine oils are not a short answer subject. But, for my own use, I have come to somewhat of a holding ground.

  Oil specified for use in my antique cars has not been manufactured for year. I am currently of the mind that what the manufacturer calls for in the newer stuff is what I am going to use. Warranty and all is the major reason.

  There are many, qualification tests. Right now, from what I have been able to determine is that the best branded conventional API rated oils should be backward compatible for use in antique, flat tappet, iron. But, the European spec engine oils must pass testing that most closely relates to antique engine service requirements. But, that will put you over on the synthetic oil shelf. And not all synthetic oils pass ACEA A3/B4 specs, for instance,  which I have been advised would be the synthetic oil for use in something like a high output Chrysler V8.

  Check the product data sheets. They are on line. The product sheet must specifically state that it passes certain tests or it most very likely does not. I would be very leary of using any oil product that did not actually state what test sequence qualifications it had actually passed. Mobil 1 synthetic oil has weasel wording on their bottles even so one must be careful. Amsoil and Redline are two that come to mind. Check the data sheets for ACEA qualification.  The current API testing and qualifying may well change to incorporate testing that is closer to ACEA procedures. Right now, ACEA rated oils have been qualified under more demanding testing (and the ACEA tests relate more closely to antique engine service than does API testing) than is required to meet API  testing.

  Anyway, I am reading bottles snd literature trying to keep up and make sure that what  I put in a customers car will meet manufacturers requirements for warranty and be something that I feel will provide necessary protection. Lots of products on the market that are better than anything else but by what testing?

  Warren Anderson
  Sedona,AZ

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings: