[Chrysler300] 300C carb id detail, and black deposits query

[Chrysler300] 300C carb id detail, and black deposits query

Thank you to those that replied re what carbs are on the 2nd of my 300Cs - and thank you to Paul who included this web address below that pictures 300C carbs and their cast numbers, which Gary Nelson also supplied. This site may help other 300C owners, beyond the more widely mentioned brass tag numbers

My two carbs have identical numbers to those shown, with the 6- 1310 one also having a 9 off to the side of it - this I presume maybe a dating/production one?

My carbs had the correct brass tags with them, but because they had no top butterflies, nor usual 300C counterweights, on the secondaries, plus car had bit of early 60s speed mods, I thought the tags might have been swapped onto non original carbs, but that now seems unlikely.

When I refitted rear carb, I did not have composition steel centre lower gasket, so just used the ones you get in rebuild kit, but to date no one has said if factory ones had this steel heat shielding, or needed/benefited from it?

The other query I now raise is one replier mentioned if float evels too high, 300Cs can blow black smoke out tailpipes.  My first 300C, that has carbs set as per orig factory float levels, deposits two black oval marks on ground behind car near every time when I first start it - so clear on concrete, bitumen, you can see them from 20 feet way.

Car however does not blow black smoke when driving, nor accelerating, unless you have driven say 15 mins, or five miles, at normal light throttle.  However if you then plant it, run it to say 50 -70+ mph at maybe 80% throttle - the car goes like all hell, and leaves a huge high wide black haze if look back in rear view mirror. Car feels stong enough to run 15s. Do it again say two mins later of normal driving, haze not as big, and third run, no haze much, and not as fast, maybe sec half slower. Car is stock, except larger diam exhaust, and some 1955 different nose type cam, that usually is not supposed to work in 392s, but was in car/engine when I got it?!

Any other 300C owners noticed sort of same 'black ovals on the ground' outcome - floats are not too high to get around 22 mpg at 60 mph (our gallon 4 and half litres), and about 20 mpg at 70 mph. Car has 235 by 15 radials, which likely add 2 mpg over crossplies. I have not changed plugs in years, and car still runs same solid copper leads that were on car when bought 27 years ago, and never fouls plugs.

The second 300C I asked about carbs originally for, I have not driven enough to figure mileage, but it does not blow black rings onto ground, but it's carbs etc not sorted like my first 300C, it a car I bought unseen 10 years ago for bits for my original 300C. But factory Gaugin Red, full options except air and a never damaged straight body albeit with usual/common rocker/trunk floor rust, I decided to fix rust and eventually fully restore - rust near done, repainted, but still w orig stuffed interior, poor California smog weathered chrome on bumpers etc. It just has never seemed as strong as first 300C, but if carbs right, then only the 'weirdo non 392 correct' earlier cam is any/only major difference that might explain ?

Christopher in Oz

ps this second 300C must have gone strong and long once - the car had a real bad clunk, bang, in diff, when you went from D to R, or R to D - I found the cross shaft/pin in the diff that carries the spider gears had spun so hard and often that the steel it is made out of had cut the cast iron centre it sits in - from being a neat tight fit, to being gouged out to double the width of the pin !!  Old racers, hot rodders, said the way that happens is doing major burnouts without a limited slip diff - but like how many - my guess maybe near every sat night for how long - this 300C must have copped a real flogging - or other 300 owners had/found theirs/others worn/flogged out like this in the diff centre ?!

copy of 300C carb web address at bottom of the below email
> To: thelastbestgenius@xxxxxxxxxxx> Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2008 12:08:26 -0800> From: PAULHOLM@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Subject: Re: [Chrysler300] 300C carb id needed> > will this help??> http://users.ameritech.net/paulholm/57carbID.html> > > > >

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional