RE: [Chrysler300] new wheels / old hub caps

RE: [Chrysler300] new wheels / old hub caps

Ray is right I think - on original wheels, it looks like they used a massive press, or stamper, to put a little raised ski ramp facing the valve stem hole each side - just a little to each side of the hole. From memory, it is only about an eigth of an inch wide, and similar height.  It would stop hubcap rotating and chopping off valve stem.

I was one of the members who provided detail of this thing before the new rims were finaliased, so it seems odd if any were made without them?  Anyhow, if anyone wants, I can measure how far they should be from hole, otherwise they might foul hubcap sitting on properly.

And real eye opener re rims, old rims, and how safe they are today, was straightening a few dings in an original 1957 Chevy rim (they have 4 raised bumps at 90degree spacings to stop caps rotating)  - they are so thin and weak compared to the 300C rims, it stunned me. I had not seen rims so light and weak on other US late 50s cars - Chrysler and Ford for example not only way heavier, but the steel way harder to straighten or rebend.  Makes one feel pretty confident if one has good unrusted 50s Mopar rims on your/our 300s.

Have a good happy safe Easter wherever you are,

Christopher in Australia

CC: Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: bleahy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: hurst300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 22:38:15 -0500Subject: Re: [Chrysler300] new wheels / old hub caps

Hiiiiiiiii Billlllllll;They kept the Hubcap from rotating and pulling out the valve stem.If you haven't mounted your tires yet you can have a little bead of weld laid there, that'll do it.Ray in MenaOn Mar 19, 2008, at 7:08 PM, Bill Leahy wrote:i purchased the new 6.5 inch wide wheels from the club group for my 57300 coupe / they do not have little nubs on the edge to help keep thehub caps on.so, i am afraid to put the hub caps on fearing they will fly off as ihead down the road.is this a true concern?billllll of bills basket case in kennewick washington[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)