[Chrysler300] Kind of oily in the morning for this

[Chrysler300] Kind of oily in the morning for this

This lube discussion is getting pretty technical and more difficult to come
up with the single best answer.  Several things that need consideration:

A branded oil like Mobil 1 probably has changed its additive package over
the years, especially to comply with new EPA rules.  The synthetic base
stock probably remained the same.  Therefore, what worked well in an engine
with a high-lift cam and solid or flat lifters such as we have in our
Chrysler 300 letter cars may not work as well now or in the future.

Zinc levels do not necessarily tell the whole story (according to the
ZDDPlus website, anyway).  The P stands for phosphorus and that is the
element that is claimed to slowly poison a catalytic converter if it somehow
escapes from the crankcase to the exhaust system.  Most folks are focused on
more zinc, more better, but zinc compounds are used for purposes other than
wear protection in oil.  The ZDDP compound is apparently generally accepted
as the best compound for cam and flat lifter wear protection and it
diminishes with miles on each oil change.  In quantity, it is probably also
reasonably priced. I'm guessing that it might be a patented compound and
only produced by one company--either an oil or a chemical company.

Each of the oil company gurus that have responded focuses on zinc content of
their oil, but at least one guru (Chevron) states his oil has high zinc
content and is also compliant with new EPA specs for low or zero phosphorus
content.  That is possible, but if so, there can be little or none of the
needed ZDDP compound in their oil.

I have not seen any of the technical responses from any oil company that
specifies initial ZDDP content and that is apparently the main issue.  It is
more likely that the Diesel engine oils contain ZDDP, but as they are also
recommended by the oil companies for gasoline engines, I would think they
have had to reduce or eliminate the ZDDP compound, also.

So, at this time, I recommend sticking with the engine oil you like for your
engine and bite the bullet, pay the $2.50/ounce for ZDDPlus and add one
ounce per quart of oil at each change.  Can't hurt, might help.  A little
dab will do ya.  Cheaper than good whiskey.  Correction to previous typo:
ZDDPlus retails for $13,440/barrel.

C-300'ly,
Rich Barber
Brentwood, CA
1955 Chrysler C-300
1986 Chrysler LeBaron T&C Convertible with 2.2 Turbo
Both cars to receive 10W-30 Pennzoil and a shot of ZDDPlus at next oil
change