[Chrysler300] Silcone Brake Fluid in My 55 Desoto

[Chrysler300] Silcone Brake Fluid in My 55 Desoto

Just to add my two cents to the silcone use .    About 35 years go I
needed to redo my brakes on my 55 Desoto (my daily driver-bought from
original owner - still own the car now 41 years later) as a couple of
the cylinders were leaking.   I pulled all the guts out of all the
cylinders, flushed the master cylinder, lines and whl cylinders with
alcohol, honed the cylinders. I cleaned the whl cylinder parts  and
reinstalled them.  I was able to locate silicone brake fluid at a
performance racing car shop (only place to get it as it was not
available any were else -fairly new on the market).  The master cylinder
and all hoses were original.   As I remember, with the silicone brake
fluid, I had great pedal.   After driving it for a few years - mostly on
an occasional tour-I drove it to Utah to store with  a friend who found
some cheap storage outside of Salt Lake.   There the car set for some 15
years.  Still with a good pedal-I had shipped back home to San Jose
Calif. where it set for another another 8 years.   Last year I got it
out and started it (a little gas in the carb all it took to start it -
but carb leaked gas so I replaced the original carb with a rebuilt)  and
ran it to the muffler shop for a new exhaust (ran on the 23 year old gas
to the gas station).   As for the brakes - I just had to add a little
silicone to the master cylinder, pump the brake pedal a few times -let
it set a bit - pump brakes a few more  and I was off driving with great
brakes.   As for the brake light switch problem - I do not remember
having any failure problems and the stop lights still worked when I
drove it to the muffler shop.  Haven't driven it since last year and
have a set of disc brakes that I will install by early next year  when I
hope to have the 62 H running and out of the garage. I'm a believer in
the silicone and intend to put it into the 62 H which has all new hoses
and cylinders and master cylinder - whereas the Desoto had old used
brake components - but still lasted a long time with silicone.

Ken Wilson, San Jose , Calif

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: