[Chrysler300] silicone brake fluid

I too, have had good experience with silicon fluid, in my 300G.  My car is a
late build car, and has an external brake light switch, so I have never
experienced any switch problems from silicone fluid.  My car's brake system
was rebuilt in 1978 using standard rebuild kits from NAPA for the wheel
cylinders and the master cylinder at that point, and the system was flushed
and filled with silicone fluid at that time.

I almost hate to admit it, but I went from 1978 to 1996 (18 years) with
virtually no maintenance on the system other than brake adjustments and
maybe 2-3 times adding a small amount of fluid.  I did not bleed the system
at all during that period.  In 1996, I noticed a pulling to one side and
found one of the bottom front wheel cylinders leaking, so I took it all
apart and sent all the wheel cylinders and the master out and had brass
inserts installed in them.  When the system was torn down, I inspected all
the cylinders and found the bottom of the front wheel cylinders to have
corrosion and that is why they failed.  Had I bled the system every 5-7
years, I doubt it would have failed.

Everything was reassembled and new flex lines installed with fresh silicone
fluid.  I bled the system in 2005, and and continue to have excellent brake
performance with the silicon fluid.  My pedal is not spongy, and the car
stops straight and true.

I am a believer in silicone brake fluid because it is a very stable product.
It does not absorb moisture as does DOT 3 & 4 fluids which are glycol based.
It does not melt paint and has a high boiling point.  When driving my G
though mountain passes, the front brakes DO tend to get pretty warm so I
like the high boiling point aspect.

When repainting any part that may have been exposed to silicone fluid, you
must thoroughly clean or bead blast the part to assure a good bond and
remove all traces of silicone

Bob J

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional