  From: Matt Allyn
  To: Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Wednesday, May 28, 2008 1:25 PM
  Subject: [Chrysler300] In Defense of Chryslers

  I am restoring a 1962 Sunbeam Alpine to give to my Dad for his birthday next month. I have had to take a crash course in Alpine. Everyone in Alpineland has been very nice and very helpful....BUT today I received a call from a gentleman who wanted to ask me some questions about the Alpine. I told him that I was a Chrysler girl and would do my best. His response was "that's too bad..." I responded with "Why? Because we had to take over the Rootes Group in 1964 and add the Pentistar to the fender of the Alpine?" He said nothing more about that.

  We talked for awhile. I told him I wasn't going to pull the motor of the Alpine at this time because I only had a month to restore the car and it runs fine. He suggested in a condescending tone that I should replace the original numbers matching 1600cc motor with a six cylinder Ford and make it go fast. Those of you who have met me, know I don't do well with condescending tones. I replied:
  "If I want to go really fast, I will drive my 1962 Chrysler 300 with it's 413 and dual four barrels that is bored out 60 over, because that is the car that set the land speed record in 1962. I don't need to make a Tiger clone. I have much faster car already." That pretty much shut up my new Alpine friend.

  I have been having fun with the little zippy car. It has fins like a Dodge. It's a convertible. It's fun and been simple to find parts for...but really, I don't need to shoe horn a Ford V6 into that car. I have a Chrysler V8! So I guess my allegiance is true. I am a mopar girl first and foremost. Thought you should know...

  Jennifer Allyn

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: