[Chrysler300] I need a turn signal for my 61 G

[Chrysler300] I need a turn signal for my 61 G

  I sent this to Don, but I figured I had better check to see if someone has a turn signal that will work on my 61 G. Also a special thanks to Nathan Harris for his help. Also, I didn't send the photos of Jay Leno. I used the resources listed on our web site, and it looks like I can have one rebuilt in about a month if I can't get one sooner. My sad story to Don follows:

  Hello Don. I need help locating a turn signal switch for my 300G. I had some good news and bad news in May , but if the attached is too much to read, what I need is a turn signal.

   I'm 500 miles from my car, but Wayne of Wayne solo performance of North Hollywood, says it's fried and is apparently a one unit attached directly to the signal arm. Do you know where I can get one? My email is bookemdano50@xxxxxxx . Wayne may find other electrical "issues" as we go along.

  Greg Leggat supplied me with the full wiring harness(s), but he asked a frightening question.... what caused it. The wiring burnt from the alternator to the ignition switch, taking out the attached wires with it. Alternator?  About a month before I had the starter re-wound and they had to re-do it 2 times to get it right, but It was great after that. The morning before the fire, the right front electric window acted as tho it had slipped off track or lost a cog in the gear and had to be assisted up and down.

  Good news.  In early May I drove my folks (mine now) '61 300 G from here in Tahoe the 500 miles to the Spring Fling show in the San Fernando Valley, billed as the largest Mopar show west of the Mississippi. I took my Dad as we entered it and he had tears in his eyes as we  took a First Place in the 300 category. (PS The photo of Jay Leno looking at my car is attached.)  Boy does he know his cars. He drove to the event in a "1950's looking Indy car made with a 12 cylinder turbocharged 1953 Chrysler tank engine, the car about 30 feet long,  also in photos).

  Jay looked into the engine compartment and said, faster than I could say it, "huh, a 413 wedge head, dual quad, long ram induction,,,, you and I must get about the same mileage", referring to the tank. Funny man!

  At the event, Leon Kaplan (aka the motor man who broadcasts a 3 hour fix your car show on Sunday mornings), asked us to show the car on May 18th at another San Fernando Valley event, where I again met Nathan Harris ( Chrysler 300 International member) who wrote about our car in the '61 300 mag. we received a few months back.

  Best news. The car is fine, except a whole lot of fried wiring and gages.

  The bad news.I left for Tahoe the following morning at 1am, but at 2am I was in trouble. At 70mph in the fast lane my lights went out and a fire erupted under the dash right under my legs. . Filling up with caustic smoke, I managed to get the drivers window down before my electric windows failed. With only the light of the 18 wheelers barring down on my now totally dark "Black Beauty" to try and grope for the side of the road without going off the cliffs, without passing out from the now total smoke filled compartment, and without being run over by the big trucks, I now know the good Lord loves 300's.

  The next few minutes were filled with terror, with me fighting to save the car. It turned itself back on, starter stuck on, lights going on and off, horns honking, fires under the dash and hood initially going off with my fire extinguisher, but back on again. I could not get to my tools (in the trunk under a pile of junk). I used my hands, grabbed one battery cable, summoned up the strength and yanked it so hard as to break this brand new cable. Now the fire extinguisher did it's job.

  The following morning I called Nathan Harris for help. Tho at work, he provided me with much need information, including Wayne solo Performance who was but 2 miles from me and the 300 and who had worked on Nathan's 300 g years before.

  Invited to 8 local car shows but can't make it. Last year for the first time I entered the 300 into a car show (The 23rd annual Cannibal Cruise show in Truckee, prelude to its much larger brother, the Hot August nights show in Reno). Being the only 300 G helped me take 1st place in the '61-'66 stock cars. The judges are/were contestants in a different category, but loved the "bugs" in my radiator from the drive up from Los Angeles just 2 days prior, and the cars history, bought for my Mom by my Step Dad as a wedding present. Since the Cannibal Cruize, I've been asked to show up at the other events, which I paid for, but will not be able to take the "Black Beauty". I will attend a couple with my old 356 Porsche tub.

  Thanks  and any suggestion would be appreciated.
  Michael Danny O'Lear

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: