[Chrysler300] John Hertog

The Board for the Chrysler 300 Club International was notified of John's passing shortly after it occurred.  Knowing this but not feeling that it was my position to make it public knowledge my only call was to my wife Christie.  She like myself knew that the outlook was not great, but hoped for better.

Years ago I met John when he purchased a 300F coupe from California and came out to take delivery.  He requested that I store the car for a short period until arrangements could be made for transpiration to his home.  I remember the day well as I took John to LAX for his flight home after he delivered the car to me.  He seemed so appreciative that one would do something like this and I thought it was nothing as he was a friend and a club member.

As so many of you have stated his passion for Letter Cars was never ending.  I always admired his ability to take a car ready for the grave and bring it back and then show up at a meet with it.  Not only did he show up, but he let people drive the cars.  I've put a few miles on Golden myself.

When I arrived at the meet just days after 911 John picked me up at the local airport after there was a long flight delay.  He gave up time to be with club members to wait until I arrived and if that wasn't enough once at the meet he gave Larry Jett and myself the keys to his L for the entire meet.

On another occasion after the meet ended Christie and I drove to the east end of Long Island to spend the night with John.  He provided a grand tour of the area and then Helen joined us for dinner which he refused to let me pay for.  We stayed at his home that night and he saw us off then next morning.  At that time we became aware of Helen and his passion for animals.  Christie and I are both animal lovers and what we saw warmed our hearts immensely.  God places a few people on earth to deal with the plight of animals and Helen and John were surely two of them.

The last time we saw John was in Ashville a couple of years ago.  I think it was the last meet he attended.  He didn't look good then we both thought, but we enjoyed our visit not thinking it would be the last one in person.  Several phone conversations and e-mails continued until he was not able to do so.

It is tough to loose friends, but it is the way of life.  We always seem to appreciate someone after they have left us.  Life is very delicate and we all need to cherish it and each other while we can.  I feel that John did so and he certainly made our lives richer for being in them.  I know that he will be at future gatherings in spirit and enjoying it to the max, so next time you see a Letter Car flying by you John could be behind the wheel with a big smile on his face.

God bless you John, Helen and Mrs. Hertog,

John & Christie Lazenby

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: