[Chrysler300] Torsion Bar Question

Good evening,

I just flew home from Dallas where I have left the G after a 1071 mile drive down there earlier in the week. The car ran great but drove poorly. I think it was the result of the left side appearing to be almost 2 inches lower than the right side. This measurement was done from wheel opening to garage floor. I raised the left torsion bar to bring the car more even upon arrival in Dallas. I then put another 30 miles or so on it and it drove like a new car, it was great. By the way, the listing of the car to the left was taking place before I left Columbus, I just hadn't measured it. My wife had followed me a couple of weeks ago and said the car looked like it was leaning. I assumed it was due to my big butt being in it.

My question is: Can the heat from the exhaust change the spring rate in the torsion bars? Could the heat have weakened the torsion bar?

The left side head pipe makes contact with the torsion bar when turning the wheel. So, the head pipe is obviously very close to the torsion bar.

This is odd as the car was all fine when originally reassembled several years ago. The exhaust pipes did not rattle and it did not lean to one side.

I did have to take the exhaust off a couple of times while dealing with freeze plugs a few years ago, so maybe I put it back together "off"? Did the car settle over time?

Can heat from the exhaust affect the torsion bars?

By the way, I averaged 67 mph over the 16 hours and got 13 mpg even with the 2:76 gears. According to the Garmin GPS, 102MPH was the maximum high speed recorded.

Best regards,

Richard Osborne

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional