[Chrysler300] thank u re 300H replies to Qs

[Chrysler300] thank u re 300H replies to Qs

Thank you to all those that replied to my questions about 1962 300 models, and which had what carb setups and centre consoles - my i/net server on the blink last few days, so I replying here rather than individually.

Suprising was the weights of the 300s then, the 'downsized' 300H, is still around/over 4000lbs - that some weight to haul as say versus late 60s pony cars, and say my loved (for a cheap /nasty/common GM) late '60s early 70s 3200 lb El Caminos, and the not much heavier Chevelles GTOs etc that are better recognised for their performance.

Pontiac late '60s had a go at recreating the late '50s early 60s 300 type package of big high perf motor, good handling (above 'wallowing'), and quality 'sports' interior, when they downsized their Grand Prix range in 1969, offered 370 and 390 hp 428 motors standard in their top SJ GP models, and the 455 HO standard in their 70 SJ version, this in a car weighing (in base model) only 150 lbs more than GTOs.
While not as externally spectacular/successful (looking to many nowadays) as '60-62 300s, a '69 or 70 Grand Prix, in 428 or 455 SJ spec, could be ordered,, or came standard, with auto leveling suspension, full leather power bucket seat goodies, plus in either centre console shift auto or 4sp manual.
And over the 1/4 mile they ran in the 14sec ranges if ordered right. (And in 1st year GP downsized and performance made a sales feature, they sold huge numbers, over 100,000, so much so Chev and Olds copied, releasing ones to compete with Pontiac, although not as luxo GTs like 300s had been.)

US Road & Track magazine, in a 69 GP test, first laughed at their Editor for being asked to drive/test one, only to end with saying all the perf spec model lacked was "GT" badges, as it more a GT than near every supposed GT offered for sale. It is a pity that Chrysler did not offer a such based 300/competitor - (even legendary early 300 fanatic/loyalist Tom McCahill now lauded the new smaller GP when released) - even with 428s and 455s, big diffs etc they weighed only around 3,500 lbs, although whereas Pontiac used a GTO frame with a bit added on out the front, Chrysler's unitary body product maybe made doing this (so simply) impossible, without it in effect a whole new car, whereas Pontiac just then also used different exterior panels on basically same inner body shell they also already had.
Chrysler would have had to use say a Dodge Charger or Coronet shell, and just thinking how they might do that makes one think 'too hard', and then what would '300 quality' feel like/seem?!  Others offer any thoughts re this, but come 1971, and already the performance 'image', days of such, were near going/gone/over, and so the Chrysler 'new 300 performance model' window was likely already gone?!
And for their cheap 'GTO/Chevelle' family origins, both the 69 and 70 SJs I have, have a real quality feel about them - it just a bit weird looking out over that long hood with it's raised centre peak - a 300C hood is much more pleasant to drive with.

So getting back to why I asked about 1962 300Hs, I think the weight issue is a pretty big ask re 'is a 300H going to be a far lighter, more nimble car than earlier 300s', and I leave my final judgement until I can drive a well sorted one - until then I (likely) have too many cars already anyway.

Christopher in Australia, our gas prices back to around $1.45 a litre from their recent high of $1.73c a litre (that for low octane 90)

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)