Re: [Chrysler300] Fuel Tank Filler Tube

I just went through that exercise because the solder on the tank retaining ring was cracked.  The tube has three pressed dimples on the outer surface that stop it being pulled out of the retaining ring.  For my tank, the tank repair guy and I worked the filler tube back and forth to completely crack out the retaining ring.  We then used a slightly larger diameter pipe and a heavy hammer to bang the ring off.  The dimples don't have the same slope both ways and it appears filler pipe is designed for a sharp tap to put it in but a heavy blow to get it out.  The tank was pickled to remove rust and petrol and the ring soldered back on.  There is an O ring in there as well which I took to a seal supply place get a matching replacement.  It is a standard imperial size.  My advice is DO NOT take the filler pipe out unless it is leaking at the O ring or at the solder joint.  If the O ring is leaking, you could clamp something to the filler pipe and try to bang it out, but I think th!
 e solder will probably crack under that punishment.

Best of luck

Henry
300C Brisbane

> Ron Waters <ronbo97@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Hi All -
>
> Does anyone know the secret to removing the filler tube from a 57
> Chrysler
> gas tank ? I've already removed the circular metal strap that holds the
> filler tube stationary. The tube moves around, but I can't pull it out,
> or
> push it in for that matter.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ron