[Chrysler300] 1963 Chrysler 300 Maintenance Issues

[Chrysler300] 1963 Chrysler 300 Maintenance Issues

Hi All,

I have a few questions regarding some corrective action needed on my '63 300.

1.  Possible Idler Arm or Bushing.
When the 300 was on the lift, the mechanic pushed the tires in and out and there was a lot of play in the idler arm area.
I asked if only the bushing was needed and his reply was that he would replace the whole arm, if available.
Can someone enlighten me on the possibility of the arm needing to be replaced vs. just the bushing?
The center link and other components seemed fine.  What is the possibility that the idler arm is bad?

2.  Grease leak near Left Rear brake plate.
There is a large stain on the brake plate on the drivers rear.  The mechanic said this is grease, not brake fluid.
He took off the rear drum and there was no brake fluid leaking.  Recently, all the wheel cylinders were replaced.

I replaced the rear bearing about 15 years ago due to noise and I think I replaced the grease seal too.
This required removing all the brake components, brake plate, hub (I think), not too difficult, just took a while.
Do these grease seals wear out over time?  It seems like a lot of grease would have to leak out to make a large stain.
The mechanic was concerned that the grease may get on the brake shoes.

Does this seem like a grease seal problem or is there another grease seal, possibly inside the rear end that could be leaking?
I am asking this question before I tear the whole thing apart.

300ly,
Mark Lindahl
'63 300 Conv.

<*> Your email settings: