RE: [Chrysler300] 57 horns

I have prepared a wiring diagram for my 1955 6-Volt C-300 in Excel format
and it is probably schematically correct for your '57 horn circuit.  I've
copied part of it below and also attaching the file.  The portion copied
below is somewhat distorted, but may come through for you.  I know it will
never make it to the server, so anyone interested in the diagram can e-mail
me.  I'm not saying its perfect, but it has been helpful to me as it is in
color and matches my 2-door hardtop without a/c.

The horns work through a horn relay-on the driver's side fender liner in my
'55.  The low current side of the relay has one connection from the ignition
switch "I" that is always hot when the ignition switch is on.  When the horn
ring is pressed it completes the ground circuit to the relay "S".
Completing the ground circuit causes the relay to close the circuit between
the high current input from the battery "B" to the heavy wire going to the
first horn "H".  To check, I'd first check to see if you have 12 Volts at
"I" with the ignition switch on and at "B" at all times, then disconnect the
"S" wire and connect your ohmmeter to the end of the wire and a good ground.
Pressing the horn ring should close the circuit to zero Ohms.  If all this
checks out, use a heavy jumper from "B" to "H".  This should cause the horns
to honk unless they are gummed up or the wire from "H" to the first horn is
parted or shorted.  You can also connect that heavy jumper from the hot side
of the battery direct to the power tab on either horn.  If you get a spark,
but no noise, the horns are gummed up.  No spark may indicate an open
circuit in the horn coil or a bad ground where the horn is bolted to the
chassis.

We have an unscientific fix for frozen, gummed up, corroded horns, also.
Let me know if you need that.

C-300'ly,

Rich Barber

Brentwood, CA

1955 Chrysler C-300

DEFROSTER MOTOR

DEFROSTER SWITCH

HORNS

14-BLACK

14 BROWN

             HORN RELAY

HEATER MOTOR

CONNECTORS

HEATER SWITCH

12-GREEN

14-BLACK

14-BLACK

DISTRIBUTOR

FUEL TANK SENDING UNIT (only one wire to SU)

FUEL GAUGE

+'          -

14-BLACK

BLUE