[Chrysler300] Hartford Ct new car auto show

[Chrysler300] Hartford Ct new car auto show

Good Evening fellow 300 members,

You might be interested in this story. My company specializes in building conservatories, sunrooms and custom additions. We recently have added a line of "canopy covers/carports". With the tightening economic market we have looked outside the box for additional ways to gain business. We contacted the producers of the "new car" auto show in Hartford, Ct approx. three months ago explained our carport, asked if we could display. We went on to explain that in addition to the carport we would park a "61 300-G under it. They approved and let us in.

Now fast forward to today; a friend and myself head up to the convention ctr. this morning about 9:00am. We take a leisure 40 mile ride with the bright sun at our backs. The "G" runs great at 80 mph with the brisk air while I enjoy a triple shot latte from Starbucks. We arrive at the convention center and get directed to the "load in area". As we approach there are three semi's lined up waiting to unload their loot, Ford, Lexus & Nascar. As we approach the staff directing the trucks observes us and their reactions were precious. Pointing, commenting about the whitewalls and then flagging us in front of all three semi's. After a few more comments and three of them circling our car like hawks circling their prey, they send us into the building.

Smiles and thumbs up as we ascend up the 15' wide concrete ramp and then make a left in what is nothing more than the back room and inner workings of the convention ctr. Ceilings 16' high, exposed duct work, toe moter's buzzing around hauling around massive crates stamped with their perspective auto makers name; Acura, Infinity, Cadillac. We sat for a short 10 minutes behind a brand new Volvo XC. We were headed to the "Ballroom" which was on the top floor of the center. The only way up was the freight elevator capable of carrying 70,000 lbs and about 19'-6" tip to tip between the hydraulic doors.

As we pull into the elevator more comments from the numerous staff, more thumbs up. One guy with a walkie talkie says its going to be real difficult getting this on the show floor due to the tight turns up stairs. The noise of fork lifts, semi's is silenced when the doors to the massive elevator close. The operator informs us this was by far the best car he had seen all day. Within 45 seconds the elevator stops the doors open to a crowd of workers gawking, I pull the "G" forward slowly, my adrenaline pumping. The guys are commenting; "It's a 300!", "Check out the whitewalls", "That's bad ass man!" As I crawl forward through the "back of the house" to the ballroom we come to our first turn. I'm able to make the right somewhat effortlessly and clear the block wall to the right of the "G's" fin. At this point there are 20 plus guys walking on either side all coaching me and placing bets if I can get this brute through the immediate left turn into the
 ballroom through the double doors. I approach the door and put my push button tranny through a work out much like Billy Joel does to his piano keyboard!

A quick left and there was our  display, my guys had just set the carpet and were stringing the lights. We detailed the car, pulled her under and complied with the fire marshal regs; battery cables disconnected, gas caps either locked or taped.

I'm sure the weekend will be interesting, hopefully the "G" conversation's will lead to discussions of building a carport or conservatory on their home or business. Possibly Monday I can share the rest of the story!

Warmest Personal Regards,
Matt Ostrowski
Norwich, Ct
All original 300G