RE: [Chrysler300] Paint Type, 300-D

Base-clear paints are easier to repair most of the time and do tend to give a nice finish. It's also a lot more forgiving than single stage paints. An amature painter can get impressive results with a two-stage whereas it takes more skill to lay down a nice enamel in single stage.....particularely if you're using metallics.

My problem with base-clear products on old cars is that it doesn't look very authentic.....if that's what you're going for. If you're 'restoring' a car, it doesn't really make sense to make the finish look like a modern car. (Maybe I take the word 'restore' more literally than others) I've always sprayed my classic cars with eurethane enamels which I find to be a happy medium between the original materials and modern technology and I've been happy with the more authentic results. Color sanding is an option with both methods if you want to eliminate blemishes and orange peel etc.

Just my two cents......I'm sure others have completely different views.Ryan Hill

To: chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: spiers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 04:26:00 -0800Subject: [Chrysler300] Paint Type, 300-D

Hi all-I'm trying to decide what type of paint I will have my Ermine White 300-D coupe painted.Should I go with a single stage acrylic, or a two-stage basecoat/clearcoat?  For originality's sake, I would think that a single-stage paint would be better, but I intend to be putting 5000-6000 miles a year on the car once it is back on the road - so it is going to exposed to more road debris than many 50-year-old automobiles - and I understand the two-stage paint has better repair results.Thanks!John SpiersLake Worth, Florida[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)