[Chrysler300] 1957 300C factory steel stamping ?

[Chrysler300] 1957 300C factory steel stamping ?

1957 300C stuff - boring, hit delete now if not interested.

As I near finishing major frame/mechs painting after dismantle and sandblasting etc, apart from the multiple large circled S that is stamped on the frame sides in 4 places, I have also got a not as large S, without any circle, stamped very deep into the top of the rear axle housing.  The housing centre has what I at first thought was a date code cast after the cast centre part number, but  I now have had time to see it is "355", which I guess is the axle ratio, which seems about right when you turn the input shaft?!

Would this diff housing stamped S, be another AO Smith manufacturing ID, as they marked the frames which they seemingly built for Chrysler, or did Chrysler make the housing? The diff seems limited slip, and I am not going to pull the centre, as we all know it has those lovely Mopar tapered axles, brake drums, and it lays two perfectly good strips of burnt rubber when last tried - (hi George and Nancy Terry, you remember that?! - hope your C convert nears finishing?!) Were some/all/any limited slip diffs marked by a stamping on the housing, if this deep S is not an A O Smith marking?

I also noted AO Smith circled S markings on the rear torsion bar welded on brackets (with also I noted a large 3, on left bracket, (all hidden when X member bolted over top of that area) plus I have a large 10 stamped on the bottom face of the rear trans X member, you unbolt if removing trans/motor.  Also noted real way larger Vs on some of the front bar brackets, along with DDCC ids, etc.

Anyone got any comment re any of this stuff  ( - noted the diff centre housing (retainer) nuts - each has a deep sort of a "D" stamped into one face?! many other DD CC marked bolts elsewhere) Apart from being manual steering which seems pretty rare, only other non stock 300C stuff about the frame seems the fuel line, which is about not quite double stock/usual 300C's diameter.

The left side rear spring main plate is broken just after where it leaves the housing, they double clamping the spring just after that.  I may try getting this welded to try and keep the car most original, although no sign the main plate is date stamped  - anyone know if it is?  Plus anyone know how "semi gloss" is correct for frame factory black paint finish - I have done it more gloss than satin black, but nowhere as glossy as gloss black?

Sick of trying to do too much 300C full resto in just a few weeks - sunny outside, high 80s, Western Australia's capital Perth on a run of 100 to 105s week long already heatwave, whilst up north/Queensland, summer tropical rains somewhat ruining many's beach weather/holidays. If I not too poor (which I sadly am getting quickly poorer!) I want to try to bring the car to US your summer, but odds/$$$ not too flash.

Christopher - ps no photos yet for those who asked, Supermarkets here no longer offering cheap fast film processing as volume too low nowadays since digital - am looking for cheaper Chemist, as have about 6 rolls, and my $$$ eaten wholesale by 300C needs!!

Better get back outside, I put a shade cloth over work area, topcoat going on diff and springs in an hour or so, then whatever to get it back on wheels, make new brake lines etc. Gas price around $4.40 US gall over xmas

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)