[Chrysler300] Re:52 Spoke Motor Wheels ???

[Chrysler300] Re:52 Spoke Motor Wheels ???

Its been quite some time (years) since I've done this so I'll do it again now.  Below is the section from the Authenticity chapter of my 300C Handbook regarding Chrysler Wire Wheels.  Keep in mind this is written for the 300C owner's perspective as you read it but obviously the facts herein are applicable to all.

Wayne G

WIRE  WHEELS

Those beautiful chrome wire wheels were only Chrysler-offered factory equipment on the 1953 through 1956 Chrysler products (including the C300 and 300B).  For 1957 and later they were a dealer installed accessory only.  No 300C, other, or later Chrysler model ever came with wire wheels as factory equipment.

The wheels offered by Chrysler Corporation from the factory or from dealer parts departments were Motor Wheel Company brand.  They are not Kelsey Hayes brand as is so often written and said.  Motor Wheels for Imperial, Chrysler and DeSoto cars are short-laced only to the innermost part of the felloe.  Dodge and Plymouth Motor Wheels are short and long laced to the inner and outer part of the felloe.   Kelseys are all short and long-laced.

The Chrysler short-laced 48-spoke wheels are shared with DeSoto having a 5 bolt on 4-1/2" pattern.  The 52-spoke short-laced wheels used on Imperials have the Imperial 5 bolt on 5-1/2" pattern.  Chrysler and DeSoto "estate wagons" had Imperial suspension and thus also used Imperial wheels.  The short and long-laced 48-spoke wheels of Dodges and Plymouths have a 5 bolt on 4-1/2" pattern.  Dodge and Plymouth wheels were offered chrome plated or argent painted.

 Reproduction chrome wire wheels are available in the hobby.

   NOTE:  The Kelsey Hayes 52-spoke wheels which were available for Hudson, Kaiser, and Thunderbird all have the 5 bolt on 4-1/2" pattern.  They were offered both chrome or argent painted.  Kaiser Golden Dragon models had gold plated Kelseys.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)