  From: lettercars@xxxxxxx
  To: chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Saturday, May 02, 2009 10:22 AM
  Subject: [Chrysler300] Ram Air Cleaners

  Hi All:
  This may be of help to some. I had been using air cleaner elements in the
  300F the past several years that I borrowed from my other F, last driven in
  about 1971 or 2. I know I never replaced them in that car which I
  purchased in 1969 or so. I guess most of you would agree it was probably time
  for a change before the drive up to the meet! Anyway, I took one, along with
  a list of possible cross reference numbers to the local NAPA store. None
  seemed to work, but they came up with one that was close by measuring the
  old Autolite
  FA-38 I brought with me. The number they came up with was their #2083.
  The main difference between the two was the larger inside diameter on the
  new one. Otherwise, it was the same in height and nearly so in outside
  diameter. It would work, so I bought two.
  Just today I took out the other 40 year old filter element, a Hastings #AF
  144. To my SURPRISE it was the EXACT same size in all dimensions as the
  NAPA #2083! Because of its larger ID, it does not encroach on the carb air
  horn as much. So, someone who owned my other "F" in the 60's purchased a
  Hastings air cleaner element which turns out to be the VERY SAME shape as one
  available today. I can only assume that in the 1960's it would be the one
  specified for the 300F.
  That number again???? NAPA 2083. WIX #42083 is the same, according to
  the NAPA guy.
  My 300F and I are both breathing a bit easier now!
  300ly, Gil Cunningham
  **************Eat Great & Lose Weight FASTER! Start the South Beach Diet
  Online - FREE Profile!
  (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1221822996x1201398599/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fad.doubleclick.net%2Fclk%3B213623126%3B35100424%