Re: [Chrysler300] -'63 300 fuel/hot engine

Re: [Chrysler300] -'63 300 fuel/hot engine

Hi,

Thanks for your information.  I just get back in town and I am reading all this good advice.
My '63 300 does not have the gasket on the hood, so I will try to get one from Gary Goers.

Just to clarify, the air cleaner is hot such that I can lift it off the carb, but I can't hold it in my hand for more than a few seconds.  I assume this is too hot?

I have checked the heat riser and it moves freely when I rev up the cold engine, so I assume it is working properly.  The engine guage shows normal to slightly above normal temperature when driving in 80 deg. F weather.  There is no signs of overheating when I am driving, so I am not sure that the rubber gasket will fix the problem.  Once I shut off the engine, the temp guage goes way up, almost to the max of the 'normal' range indicated on the gauge.

In the past, I have taken off the standard top of the air cleaner and replaced it with just a flat piece that leaves the filter exposed and reduces the heat around the carb.  I think this has helped slightly.

I think the metal fuel filter was getting so hot that it was pushing gas past the new needle and seat that I recently installed.  Without the fuel filter, it the only fuel smell seems to be coming from the carb bowls, so I have cut the problem in half or more.

By the way, the radiator was recored with extra (max depth) rows/ fins.  I replaced the heads within the last two years with open chamber heads, but this heating up issue when the engine is shut off was a problem with the old heads too.

Thanks for all your assistance.
Regards,
Mark Lindahl