RE: [Chrysler300] 1955 C-300 Delta Wing Air Cleaners

RE: [Chrysler300] 1955 C-300 Delta Wing Air Cleaners

I RECENTLY viewed a C-300 with supposedly  factory original delta wing air
cleaner that was all chromed--an early car with some special eye candy for
the Oakland, CA  dealer.  Now owned by the some of the original owner (dcd).
Can't prove it one way or another.  Our chief judge does not feel it could
have been a factory option--perhaps chromed by the dealer for eye candy and
flash. I've also seen a "factory" picture of an early 300 engine with dual
chrome air cleaners, a chromed power brake booster and chromed rocker arm
covers.  So, MY personal theory is that Chrysler may have chromed a few air
cleaners and other pieces for shows and sent them out on special order.

I just had my delta wings and rocker arm covers refinished in 1972-74
Mercedes Benz Byzantine Gold and I feel they look better than chrome!

Now, I'm wondering if any '55-'56 or later New Yorkers, Imperials or
Windsors were ever ordered and delivered with 300 engines?  Can you document
the engine serial number on the NY? It's on top of the block at the front,
just behind the water pump and would be of the format 3NE55XYYY with X being
a 1 or a 2 and Y's being any digit for a 300 block.  NY block s/n's would be
more extensive.  There would be no 3 prefix for a NY block.  Apparently
earlier (1951-54 ?) Chrysler New Yorkers or Saratogas could be special
ordered with the dual quad, full race cam solid lifter engine--generally for
racing--the progenitors of the 1955 C-300.

C-300'ly,
Rich Barber
Brentwood, CA
1955 C-300