Re: [Chrysler300] should anyone want to see how a stock 300F wheel loo k

Re: [Chrysler300] should anyone want to see how a stock 300F wheel loo ks afte...

Not sure where this thread came from as I can't find any thing preceding
it - link to pictures of a 300F wheel after what???

As to Nitrogen vs air - the big difference has nothing to do with inert
or corrosion, but rather the absence of water. Compressed air has water
vapor trapped by the compressor. If you drain air every day or maybe
every week depending on humidity where you live, you won't have any real
problem. But in cases where stations do not drain moisture from bottom
of tank, you get significant water in tires which expands at higher
rate. Because % water is a variable, pressure pick up is a variable and
in a race car situation, where pressure at operating temperature is
critical as it relates to footprint / tread contact in cornering and
hence cornering speed capability, racers typically prefer Nitrogen. Yes
it increases in pressure with temperature, but at a consistent rate, so
race set(s) of tires will be similar to those you tested on to develop
starting cold pressure and checked pyro on to set alignment etc.

Been there, done that.

At to using pure Oxygen, you might have similar control of pressure, but
it has its own problems which might include oxidation (corrosion) but
that is not a concern in a race situation where tires are changed
multiple times in a weekend - but then you would not want to be smoking
or have an ignition source near a combustible material in pure oxygen
(Ref Apollo1).

As to street application, most people are fine with regular Air - N2 is
fine too, but not necessary so long as compressor does not accumulate
significant moisture.

best, Ed

mgoodknight@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> ALL GASES expand and contract with temperature changes. If you believe
> differently you're dreaming. The benefit of using nitrogen (if there's
> a benefit) is that it is inert, ie does not support corrosion. Common
> air is 79% Nitrogen anyway. Keep your tires dry inside and you won't
> have rust even with 20+ percent Oxygen. No rust, no leaks!

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)