[Chrysler300] Branson, so it goes...

George and I attended the Branson auction and inspected the cars very carefully.  First, let me say I don't think the cars went for unusually high prices, because they were unusually high quality cars!   We were hoping to buy the 300C but decided to pass because of condition.

The simple reason that the 300C rag brought the price it did is because it was only a marginally nicely restored car with a shiny paint job!   The rear quarters were full of bondo and had metal strips attached to the bottom to make them appear straight, the frame was a rusty and pitted repaint not powder, it had a nice Goers' interior and engine detailing (but the engine detailing was in the wrong color combination).   Also remember that the 57C is the most common of this era fin convertible production wise.    This car was NOT restored by Bob S and he told us that this was just the way the museum bought it.   So I believe this explains the C rag price which was acceptable for a nice (but not perfect) show car.

Someone said they would like to see this type of presentation with 300's, you can, look to Palm Beach and Boca Raton, FL.

The Dodges and Desoto's for the most part,  WERE top of the line restorations by 57 Heaven.   As to price, we felt they were very reasonable for cars that are fantastically beautiful and as previously stated, much harder to come by than 300's.   Consider this, we were offered the same price for our 1957 DeSoto Adv. ragtop over 2 years ago, so if anything the current selling price is reflective of the lower current market values of all of these cars.   I can tell you this, if we were in the market to sell (we're not),  I would have been disappointed with these prices for such a once in a lifetime buying opportunity.   My sympathy Mr. Patch...

One more thing to consider, this collection will likely never be put together again (all 1957's).  The large collections that currently exist will likely not be offered intact at public sales again.  How much is that worth?   By the way the memorabilia was about 85% reproduction neon and signs, I sure wish we had taken all of our stuff and somehow put it into this sale.   These buyers paid brain dead prices for reproductions.   My congratulations Mr. Patch....   The Mecum people presented the MOST PROFESSIONAL & OUTSTANDING car auction I have even attended---a step above Jackson...

This is just our opinion on the sale, but overall the cars were exceptional, the presentation was exceptional, and the opportunity to buy what you wanted was exceptional.   It is truly a shame this collection could not have been kept intact.     bob brown

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)