From: Keith Boonstra <kboonstra@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: BARJAM300@xxxxxxx; Intl 300 <Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wed, October 28, 2009 6:07:49 PM
Subject: Re: [Chrysler300] 1957 Air conditioning

The congregation is polled. What a ton of great info and advice from all
of you. I'm still not fully decided on which way to go, but I won't be
doing it blindly now.

Jim Bartuska's '59 setup sounds like it may be the smart thing to go
with if I decide to go factory. I realize I'd have to have my
passenger head drilled and tapped. (and maybe I should have my own head
drilled and tapped for even considering this); but if that were the
greatest obstacle, I'm not deterred yet. Even though I don't have an
original A/C car, I went out and checked it for the holes anyway (yes,
both heads). There's a pretty long story between the lines here, but,
in short, I blew up the original engine pretty badly 20 minutes after I
first bought the car in September of 1962. So a junkyard 300 engine was
put in to replace that one, and I now hoped that it may have come from
an A/C car - but, alas, it was not to be.

The aftermarket setup still has a lot of appeal for installation cost
and ease. It just will look like the add-on equipment that it is; and
I love to lift the hood and be able to say "Yep, this is a factory-built
hot rod and this is how it actually came out of the showroom".

I'm still thinking ------------ --------- --

Thanks again to all,
Keith Boonstra

-

BARJAM300@aol. com wrote:
> Keith,
> Based on Burt's email maybe I can help you out. I have most of a '59
> New Yorker A/C system I took out of a parts car in 1971. If you are
> interested, I'll check out what I have upstairs in the barn.
>
> Jim Bartuska
>
> In a message dated 10/27/2009 1:38:05 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
> kboonstra@zeegroup. com writes:
>

> OK Folks, our '57 300C has sat in the barn way too much in the
> summers just because I'm too spoiled rotten to ride around without
> A/C anymore in a car that doesn't have a flip top. And besides
> that, it needed a few improvements that are long overdue.
>
> After owning it now (for the second time) for 26 years, I'm
> finally taking care of a lot of the things I should have been
> doing right along. I'm putting in seat belts, re-installing
> correct carbs, finally putting on that right side mirror, fixing
> up the armrests, and maybe I'll throw a set of WW radials on it so
> it can safely hit the road.
>
> So now I would also like to install a complete original A/C
> system, and I don't know where to start. Who out there might have
> everything I'm going to need to accomplish this (both the parts
> and the knowledge)? I know this won't be cheap, but in my view it
> will add that much long term value to the car. And it will add
> immensely to our pleasure in heading halfway across the country
> for a meet.
>
> Who's got parts or ideas for a starting point? Your thoughts?
>
> Many thanks,
> Keith Boonstra
> Holland, Michigan

<*> Your email settings: