[Chrysler300] Old car accumulators

Folks,
  I belong to a somewhat local old car club.  We have or had a couple of old timers that were in the club since its inception.  They never saw an old car they didn't like, regardless of make, model, etc.
  Several years ago, one of them allowed us to visit his farm.  He had what had once been a pasture that was full of his treasures.  Most were sunk into the mud and had eight inch trees growing through the bodies.  He had always been reluctant for anyone to see his treasures, let alone even consider selling one or any parts.
  Nearby was a pole building full of things like brand new wooden carriage wheels, brand new but dry rotted rubber tires, harness, traces, and an old car that had been Charles Lindbergh's.  The doors were unable to be shut, and things were covered in leaves, dirt, etc.
  He died a year or so later.  They had a sale.  The Lindbergh car sold reasonably well, I heard, despite its deteriorated condition.  The treasures in the pasture sold for less than scrap prices as the buyer had to use a chainsaw to recover his purchase, and possibly dig it out of the ground.  Most had a few useable parts salvaged if anything, and the hulk remained to be hauled away by a crusher.  Many had been driven to their resting spot of honor in the open pasture.
  These fellows are or were the product of the depression.  The treasures represented wealth to them.  As was mentioned, the main thing was to have something no one else had.  The constant deterioration was unseen.  However, undoubtedly the old cars filled a need for them, and that is something.  Unfortunately, a piece of history was lost when the unusual/rare item eroded from time.  It is sad all the way around.
Tim Tomlinson
West Central Illinois

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional