RE: [Chrysler300] GPS

Mac:

I have an older Garmin unit that works fine and I think they all do.  We
used it in our 2005 hemi Durango on a recent cross country trip and found it
difficult to find a place to mount the unit in the cab.  It really needs to
be on the dash or in a side window to read the satellites best.  I usually
had the passenger hold it up to get a fix.  Newer units may have a remote
antenna on a wire that would facilitate mounting lower in the cockpit.

I suggest you look at mounting options--ours came with a flat steel plate
with sticky tape on one side.  The base of the unit is a suction cup that
locks on to that flat disc.  I think CA has a law forbidding attaching the
unit to a front window (with the suction cup), but it works just fine
attached to either side window for use by the driver or (preferably)
navigator.

After that, features to look for include size of display, ease of
controlling zoom and sound level and cost of software updates.  Garmin wants
$75 to update our older unit.  What a ripoff.  I think most units work using
a touch screen, so they can be distracting.  A cutesy feature is that you
can select several different voices.  I have used the English and Australian
female voices and named the GPS unit "Suzy".  Suzy generally did a great job
and never nagged when I missed a turn, just had me do U'y's or off, overs
and ons.  Suzy generally did a good job of getting me in the right lane for
an exit or a split.

Interestingly enough, the unit switches from daylight lighting to nighttime
lighting at sundown.  You will enjoy the unit and it will help keep you and
your truck or K car on the right road to the next Chrysler 300 Club meet.
It will also digitally clock your current and average speed.

I also am using an alternative GPS system on my Blackberry
phone/camera/internet and e-mail browser.  It is an additional $10/month
with AT&T, but I have it with me most of the time and can lay it on the dash
and let it talk to me.  It has proven reliable and worthwhile numerous
times, but has a tiny display.

Wishing you and all a Merry and C-300'ly Christmas
Rich Barber
Brentwood, CA