[Chrysler300] Russo Steel auction carnage pics & 300B at 1956 Daytona

[Chrysler300] Russo Steel auction carnage pics & 300B at 1956 Daytona

The pictures of the cars on the link posted below after the tent failures would be any car owners/300s worst nightmare - some real nice cars are really badly damaged - the Cuda convert near flattened, '68 Shelby roof crushed down, Panteras, winged superbird, etc.

And what is the value of such cars after real near big possiblle stuctural damage, never mind how long will it take to find repairers capable off doing such work, the time sourcing panels trim etc if wanting it to be genuine, not repo aftermarket?  Sellers wanting cash out of their cars - yet maybe 4-6 months before repaired, let alone who wants it then - can/will they maybe be paid out as option, Insurance Co then has hassle of selling restored car, or just as is? Do US Policies commonly allow this if your Collector Car is somewhat badly damaged?

Thank you to those who replied re the Auction tents still being the big huge posted ones used years ago when the auctions were not as massive as today - the flimsy ones I saw post storm must be emergency temporary ones. And so it seems failure this time is maybe largely responsible to rope stakes, tie downs pulling out of wet ground. If so maybe the answer is what is often used here - large cast concrete blocks with steel tiedown loops cast into them - I do not know what they weigh, but usually they are about 3 feet square - maybe heavier than any ropes strength.

In I think 1933, fire tore through huge tent at I think Chigago World Fair, or some major other Car Expo, and a huge number of special custom body, most iconic classics, were totally lost - others in US will know better detail , many cars the absolute best, re one off custom bodies, paint trim, world's best custom Coachbuilders, the absolute cream Marques. Whilst few of the cars at R&S are of this calibre, this double tent failure, however must rate as one of collerctorcardoms biggest 'one hit' damage events after the 1933 one?!

And a quick final thought re why/how maybe one 1956 300B was faster than all others - one hour refusal/delaying before fronting the car for inspection, if not enough time to change a whole engine, however would it maybe be enough time to change cylinder heads and exhaust?!  Burt in his excellent replies might be able to offer comment re at early Daytona Inspections, was the cam always checked to see if stock, so if the cam were a more radical grind, combined with higher comp heads with higher rev stronger valve springs, and a 'cheater' more open flow exhaust, might explain how one would get the needed extra 100hp? An ex SK Class US Boat Racer said that by doing basically this, with better flow carbs, a 375bhp 1957 300C hemi's horsepower went up to 550bhp at about 7,200 rpms.

Christopher Australia

filled a wheel chair bound US car collector friend over road's souped up '71 460 Lincoln coupe for him yesterday - premium gas here now at $7.70 a gal (an aussie gallon is 4 and half litres)  - ouch!!